Author Topic: New Cheese maker  (Read 3255 times)

Amatolman

New Cheese maker
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:42 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm a new cheese maker and loving it. I have only been making Mozzarella so far so I will mostly be in the Pasta Filata forum. Once I consistently can make mozzarella I plan to make a provolone. After that I will need to make a press. I would really like to make gruyere and parmesan as these are two of my favorites. I love seeing the pictures of cheese people on these forums have made and I have learned tonnes just from reading through the threads! There are some very knowledgeable people here and I hope to take advantage of that :)

Cheese Head

Re: New Cheese maker
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Hi Amatolan, welcome! I've only tried moz once and failed and from the threads I can see that it is not an easy cheese to start with, have fun!

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
Welcome! It's true, the pasta filata cheeses do seem to cause a lot of problems for forum members, myself included.
So you like the Italian cheeses? (Gruyere is pretty close, being in Switzerland)

Amatolman

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
Welcome! It's true, the pasta filata cheeses do seem to cause a lot of problems for forum members, myself included.
So you like the Italian cheeses? (Gruyere is pretty close, being in Switzerland)

Thanks for the welcome. I don't think I've met a cheese i didn't like :) Oh and I would be careful calling Gruyere "close" to Italian, I'm sure there's somebody sitting on a mountain in Switzerland reading this on a laptop who is completely irate ;)

MarkShelton

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »
hahaha, geographically, yes, but miles apart in characteristics!  :D

Amatolman

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
Hi Amatolan, welcome! I've only tried moz once and failed and from the threads I can see that it is not an easy cheese to start with, have fun!

Thanks for the welcome :) I dont need easy i'm persistent :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:48:38 AM »
Welcome aboard Amatolan

Amatolman

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »
Welcome aboard Amatolan

Thanks DeejayDebi, I got a lot of info already from reading your posts! Also I plan on using your Pepperoni recipe.  :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »
Sorry I am just now seeing your post; i must have missed it. Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your mozzarella, Mrs KK has some good posts on her process.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
Welcome aboard Amatolan

Thanks DeejayDebi, I got a lot of info already from reading your posts! Also I plan on using your Pepperoni recipe.  :)

Ah great! So you are also a sausage maker! I love making sausage. Are you using the cooked pepperoni or the fermented pepperoni recipe? One is soft like cook salami and the other is the hard mouth watering stuff we are more used to. Have you downloaded my sausage eBook yet? 92 sausage recipes in there for you.

Amatolman

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
@FarmerJd Thanks for the welcome and the direction to that good information.

@DeejayDebi: I just got a cheep grinder this year and have made about 80 lbs of sausage so far. I've been having a lot of fun playing with the seasoning. I didn't see an ebook I was reading the recipes here http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SausageMenu.htm .

I have been leery of making fermented sausage but I'm going to tackle it at some point.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
 ;D  Don't know how you missed it! Half way down the page in LARGE print Deejays sausage eBook 208 pages .... etc, etc.

Click here

I use a cheapie LEM grinder but it works great. Not like I have cows or pigs I butcher (yet) just what I get on sale.

Amatolman

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:43:42 AM »
;D  Don't know how you missed it! Half way down the page in LARGE print Deejays sausage eBook 208 pages .... etc, etc.

Click here

I use a cheapie LEM grinder but it works great. Not like I have cows or pigs I butcher (yet) just what I get on sale.

Haha I somehow skipped right over that. Its now saved on my computer. I got This http://www.waringproducts.ca/en/waring_product.php?cat_id=3&item_id=15   on sale. Its loud but it does the job. I also wait for a sale and then make sausage. I made some hot roasted pepper chicken sausages that were quite good :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »
Looks like a nice grinder. As long as it does the job that's what counts. Mine is really small 1/4 hp motor but I usually only do 10 or 20 pounds at a time so it's fine. I used to use a bolt on, hand crank grinder so this is nice. My last batch included a chicken sausage too that was really good. I used Tyson thighs that were on sale. I like dark meat best. Not sure if I even wrote down how I did it. If I did I recorded it in a thread on my forum.  Sometimes I have to come here or go there to find my recipes. LOL

Amatolman

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Looks like a nice grinder. As long as it does the job that's what counts. Mine is really small 1/4 hp motor but I usually only do 10 or 20 pounds at a time so it's fine. I used to use a bolt on, hand crank grinder so this is nice. My last batch included a chicken sausage too that was really good. I used Tyson thighs that were on sale. I like dark meat best. Not sure if I even wrote down how I did it. If I did I recorded it in a thread on my forum.  Sometimes I have to come here or go there to find my recipes. LOL

Oh ya thigh meat is definitely the way to go, more flavorful and costs less.