Author Topic: Homemade wine  (Read 7240 times)

FRANCOIS

Homemade wine
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:32:37 AM »
So I finally made my first batch of wine.  We had lots of peaches that we couldn't consume, not sure of the variety but nothing like I've seen in the US.  The peaches were sickenly sweet, smell and gold colored.  I followed some random recipe I found online, with added sugar and water.  We racked it tonight for the first time, after 4 weeks primary fermentation. 

I'm pretty sure if I had to perform open heart surgery I could use this stuff to sterilize the incision.  It is incredibly strong.  My brew bulb showed the sugar content would finish at 13%.  There is no way this is less than double that.  I think where I went wrong was the yeast.  Down at the corner brew shop (yes I have one here) all they had was turbo yeast.  I figured it couldn't be too far from wine yeast, so used it.  I think the yeast may be way way way more efficient at converting sugar than wine yeast.  Any chance I can cut this with water to make it less harsh?

New season apples just came in and I got a big bag for 99 cents a kilo.  The cider is bubbling away with wine yeast, which I had to drive 45 minutes to get.  Hopefully it will be better.  I had so much fun making it that I ordered 4 cider trees from the local nursery today. 

MarkShelton

Re: Homemade wine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly a "brew bulb" is, but I can't image any type of yeast capable of producing wine with more than 16% alcohol. Yeast wouldn't even have a chance of getting 26% alcohol, the alcohol levels would kill off the yeast before getting close.

I don't doubt that it could come out harsh and strong, though, and it might seem that it's akin to something fortified, especially as new as it is. I wouldn't dilute it down with water, though. Get some glycerin and add it per the manufacturer's recommendations and give the wine plenty of time to age. Adding water would subdue the flavor more than it would help alleviate high alcohol.

That should help.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
And high alcohol content is bad because..... ????? >:D

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
Oof, Francois, this will be tough to fix. Turbo yeast isn't just yeast. It has trace mineral salts like magnesium sulfate, buffers to keep the pH up so the yeast can keep growing, a source of amines like ammonium phosphate/diammonium phosphate, etc. It also tastes like crap. It's meant to be used as a hands-off way to produce very high alcohol washes that you then distill, and carbon filter. It's not meant to be used for drinking. The yeast in it is infamous for producing volatiles like acetone and methanol and being too aggressive at pectin consumption (which produces methanol).

If you do let is settle and drink, it will likely give you one heck of a headache from the too rapid fermentation.

When you said bulb, does it measure SG, brix, or? Peach liquid is so difficult to measure for SG because you're measuring all the solids in solution and the sugar... unless you filtered it really well. With peaches you have to measure actual sugar to try and get to the alcohol content.

Diluting for high sugar is done before fermentation, usually. You're kind of stuck now. You could try to oak it with a light oak and let it sit in a secondary for a few months to try and mellow out the flavor... but I think this is one of those learning experiences.

For peaches, there are 2-3 common ways to go. One, finish them dry and it will be a chardonnay-type wine. Two, same, but backsweeten with a little juice to get a 1-1.5% residual sugar. Three, ferment with an estery red wine yeast, like a rhone style, and try to get a profile that works with the aroma of the peaches. Fermentation temp is important for proper ester formation... needs to be steady and not too high (60F).

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »
Oh and how are your lazy bees doing ?  :P You can try making a mead if you robbed some honey and can spare a bit.

MarkShelton

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
You're a bee-keeper FRANCOIS? Sweet!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
I sort of figured it was a lost cause.  Thanks though.  The bulb I have (which is in some sort of nordic language) has graduations down to 13 with a light slash at the top to indicate ready for bottling.  I think the numbers correspond to final alcohol content based on sugar in the mix.

The peaches were put through a commercial screw juicer so it was pretty clean, just some very fine solids.  Per the recipe I added a slew of sugar though.

No idea what the alcohol content is but, just out of curiosity, I threw a cup full on our wood fire and it burned....so I assume that would be pretty strong stuff.

I only have about 3 gallons, so I can't really fill an oak barrel.  I suppose I could try putting it through my distiller and see what happens, but I have no way to carbon filter.

I did get honey this year but from what we ate and gave away it only leaves enough for a gallon or two of meade.  There is only one major honey flow here so to really start racking up honey I need to split my hive out in the Spring, which means more hives and....crap I didn't want to go down this road again.  I really just want the one hive, I have no interest in keeping loads of them again.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »
How much sugar did you add? I can guesstimate the starting SG based on sugar, total volume, and average sugar content of sweet peaches.

You don't need to use a barrel.. you can use a stave from one, or oak chips. Not very much, just enough to add balance. But I don't think this is a good idea here. If it's not drinkable, distill it. Watch your fractions and toss the first parts, they will have a lot of acetone, methanol, etc. Then it shouldn't be too bad. You can distill a few times. One good way to watch fractions is to collect in small glass jars, like baby food containers or canning jars. You can collect them in order, then smell each one and blend to how you like it. This is how distilleries do it.

Also, you don't need to carbon filter in a fancy way; you can add the carbon to it directly, it just takes longer that way. If you can wait, take a glass jar, and dump a pound of carbon in, and the distillate. Wait 1-3 months, stirring it once a week. It will get a lot smoother, same as if you filtered in a column. Then filter through a coffee filter to get rid of the carbon dust and you'll hopefully have something drinkable. Might also be good with just 2-3 distillations. Remember to dilute your distillate down to 20-30% each time with water for safety and more distinct fractions before running it again.

For anyone else reading this: Francois is in NZ, where distillation is legal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:01:32 PM by linuxboy »

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
6 lbs peaches (juiced)
7 1/2 lbs sugar
18  pints boiling water

Sounds like a good weekend project.  I'l l let you know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:37:55 PM by FRANCOIS »

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
The sugar and water alone give you a 23.5% ABV potential. The sugar in the peaches, I estimate at 25% of total weight if they were really super sweet, meaning you added likely around 3-4 liters of peach juice, so you made an 18-22% ABV wine. Normal peaches should have about a 10% sugar content, which would put this recipe at a 16-18% ABV range, which is still high.

Good work :)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:28:36 AM »
LB, could you provide some specifics around the distillation process.  I have never done anything but E.Oils.  I have a 750ml flask, which I will have to fill up each multiple times and heat on an electric stove top.  How much of the first bit of distiallte will I have to chuck, or will it be obvious?

I assume as long as the water doesn't boil I'm good.  I don't have an accurate way to measure the temp in the flask.  I used to but the three way plug fitting was broken during trasport overseas so now I can't.

Nothing to lose I guess so I'll give it a shot.  Any idea with a lab type steam distiller what sort of final ABV I'd get (no reflux)?  There have been some nice 23 litre refluxes coming up for under $500 here.  Maybe I should get one.

Not sure if it matters but I fogot to mention that i didn't use just white sugar.  I used 1/2 white, 1/4 raw, 1/8 brown, 1/8 honey for the total weight.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:48:42 AM by FRANCOIS »

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »
Sure thing. Here's what you can do:

- Fill up the flask to 80% of full, so that if it foams or bubbles, it doesn't go up your column.
- For the first run, use as much heat as your condenser will take and throw out the first 10 ml. It will smell sweet at first, perfume-y, then turn to a more sort of acetone or solvent smell, then transition to more sharp alcohol smell. Toss out everything that smells really sharp. Shouldn't be very much. Second and third run you barely toss anything at all.
- Adjust heat down to the point where there is no steam coming from condenser. Run it fast for the first run into one collection vessel. You don't have a way to measure the alcohol without an alcoholmeter, so run it until you collect about half of the volume you put in to the flask. This should be most of the alcohol available.
- You actually don't need a thermometer running like this, as a basic pot still.
- Repeat until you run out of the peach wine. You should wind up with something like 6 liters of the clear distillate.

For the second run

- Dilute distillate with water to make around 10-12 liters again.
- Repeat again, but this time, run it slower. You should be getting either a very thin stream or very rapid drops, almost like a stream. This time, again discard first 10-15 ml. Should be less solvent-y at first now.
- Now start collecting in pint size jars until you collect about half of the volume again, so 5-6 liters.
- Smell the jars. You will notice they change as you go from beginning to end. The very early stuff and the very late stuff is usually too harsh. You want the middle. But, there's a tradeoff. First stuff has high ABV, usually starts at 80 and then goes down. Bottom stuff will be 20% or less.
- Take that middle and blend together into a container. You now have collected the middle fraction. You can burn or toss or save the head fraction.
- Again dilute with water, this time to make 8-10 liters.

Third run:
- Start again, and run it slowly. Perhaps about the same as the second time, fast drips or thin stream. You can fill it up pretty full second and third runs, it won't boil over any more, no organic bits.
- Collect again in pint jars or smaller.
- Leave jars overnight to air out. Come back in the morning. Blend what smells good to you. It may not smell that great because of the turbo, but try to get the cleanest stuff.
- If it's drinkable, let it air all blended together for a few days, then bottle. If not, toss in a handful or two of charcoal.
- With the final distillate, you can also take a stave or small piece of oak from a barrel and char it with a torch, or cook in the oven and put it in. You will get something sort of like a peach brandy. Without the oak, you're getting a sugared eau-de-vie.

With a lab still and middle blend, you should get a 40-55% final ABV.

Cheers, mate :)

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
Oh and make sure that all the solids and yeast has settled on the cake on the bottom and that the wine is clear. If not, you will get all sorts of off flavors from cooking the yeast. If it's not clear yet, cold crash it by putting it in the fridge as close as possible to 33F. All the solids will settle out overnight, and you can decant the liquid and experiment away :)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the detailed method.  I may try to do it tonight.  After the vigorous ferment was done (2 or 3 days) I poured off into a secondary and airlocked it, so some of the fines were gone then.  The racking we did last night left a good amount of sludge on the bottom.  The liquid is not crystal cear though.  Maybe I'll decant and refrigerate when I get home.   It will sit a few hours while I run out for a beer kit so I can start using the brew bucket right away again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:36:00 AM by FRANCOIS »

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »
If you're in a rush, pour off into smaller containers or put in the freezer. It all drops off pretty quickly once it chills.