Author Topic: Homemade wine  (Read 7237 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: Homemade wine
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
This takes FOREVER!  I'm halfway through the first liter of wine, got another 3'ish gallons to go.  It's been  bubbling away and dripping into the reciever for about an hour.  I'll be here all night at this rate.

It smells like rhubarb for some reason.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:55:07 AM by FRANCOIS »

linuxboy

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
Can you up the heat? First run should be as fast as possible, yet not produce steam through the end of the condenser. Lab units are pretty small, not exactly intended for gallons of product.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:58 AM »
Gotcha, I was keeping the heat low.  It's bubbling a bit faster now, still smells funny though, but not sharp.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »
About 1 litre of distallate out on the first pass and my flask has developed a crack.  Being impatient I just took out my pressure canner and connected the condenser line to the pressure relief spout (I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this).  Anyway, bubblin away again...

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
looks good, except... what kind of hose is that? PVC? Silicone? Hot ethanol vapor is some potent stuff. I think it will melt PVC. Glass, stainless, or copper all work, and in a pinch, silicone is OK.

Hope you're having fun with your experiment :). BTW, like I said in our last thread, you can build a basic pot distiller for much less than $500.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
It's silicone.  The water lines are latex.  I think I may take you up on your offer of the pot still help.  I need to get some projects done first though.  Might be a good winter project for me once I get a few motorbikes out of the way.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
LB,
One more question for you.  If I were to use the apparatus shown below between the pot and condenser, and stuff the bottom full of carbon, would this be better or worse  than just letting the brew slosh around in carbon for a few months?  I guess I am asking if it's better to send the vapor phase throug the carbon or the liquid.

linuxboy

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »
The way activated carbon works is that there are all these tiny cracks and pores in the carbon bits that adsorb all sorts of organic molecules, usually by van der walls bonds (as opposed to covalent or ionic/electrostatic bonds). Meaning, it'll work fine with both vapor and liquid. But, the way it works in a physical sense is that you need to expose as much of the liquid to as much of the carbon as possible. One good way to do this is to pack a 1.2"-2" diameter, maybe 2-3 ft long column with the carbon and pour the liquid in, and wait until it filters through.

What you have would work well in line with carbon. You're like a mad scientist with your setup; I love it :). If you want, use regular water instead of carbon in that bubbler. When you fill it with hot water and bubble the ethanol vapor through the water, it's like doing a double distillation. The water will keep some of the bad organics in the water and out of the final distillate.

So yes, it would be better. Likely the carbon would work better than water.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:50 AM »
It's all just bits and pieces I had left over from my distiller for EO.  I hate to guess what these things would cost here, but I got them all off Ebay for a song a few years back.  I'll give it a try, can't hurt I guess.