Author Topic: Ricotta success – first try  (Read 3742 times)

marksto

Ricotta success – first try
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
While reading up in preparation for making a batch of cheddar last weekend I came across information on making Ricotta from the whey. I’m pretty new and was previously unaware of this fantastic use for the whey.

I took approximately 4 gallons of whey from the cheddar and used the following recipe from cheesemaking.com. Only took about 20 minutes while the cheddar was undergoing first press. Ended up with about a cup and a half of the richest, creamiest Ricotta I’ve ever tasted! That’s one of the things I love about this hobby – seems like there’s something new to learn and discover with every batch.

Ricotta from Whey
1.   Use whey directly from the cheese pot at the time of draining .. The fresher the better.
2.   Heat without agitating to 160° F .. at this point 5-12% of fresh milk may be added to improve the richness and yield.
3.   Continue heating to 170° F. Add 1/2 tsp. of salt per gallon of liquid and mix in quickly.
4.   Continue heating without agitation to 185° F.
5.   Mix 1/2 tsp. of citric acid per gallon of liquid. The citric acid should be dissolved in 1/2 cup water. Add quickly the pot and stir briskly for 5-10 seconds.
Watch the curd forming small flakes and gradually larger curd masses.
Add a bit more more citric acid solution if necessary.
NOTE.. If too much acid is added, the curds will sink to the bottom and the cheese will not be sweet. The correct amount of acid will produce a clear separation of white curds and bright green whey.
6.   As the curds rise, use a perforated ladle to gently move them from the sides to the center of the pot. These clumps of curd will begin to consolidate floating on top of the liquid.
Let the curds rest for 10-15 min. *** This is very important because this is the point where the final Ricotta quality is assured
7.   Ladle the curds gently into draining forms (No cheese cloth should be needed if you were patient in the previous step). Let the curds drain for 15 min up to several hours.
For a fresh light ricotta, drain it for a short while (until the free whey drainage slows) and chill to below 50F. For a rich, dense and buttery texture allow it to drain for an extended period of time (several hours). before chilling overnight
Move to a refrigerator or cold room. Consume within 10 days

The one issue I had with this recipe is that I had no success in getting the curd to form clumps. I just had a bunch of fine flakes floating in the whey and was only able to make use by draining through cheesecloth to capture the ricotta. I also did not add any additional milk, I’m not sure exactly what that does except perhaps increase yield.

I’ll definitely be doing this again with future batches!

Alex

Re: Ricotta success – first try
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
By adding milk to the whey you add more proteins and so you get more and firmer flakes. I always add 10% of milk (even more if I have leftover) and as a coagulant you may use simple 5% vinegar. For 4 gallons of whey + 10% milk, use about 2-2.5 cups of vinegar.

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
2 - 2.5 cups seems like a lot Alex. I've had success with .25 cup vinegar per 2gal whey + 1quart milk

Alex

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
My basic procedure consists of 4 liters whey + 10% milk + 1/2 cup vinegar, I get a nice sweet Ricotta.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
I feel like I'm cheating if I add milk...

Alex

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:45:58 AM »
Don't 8)

MarkShelton

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »
I'd feel gypped if I started with 4gal of whey and only got a cup full of ricotta!

Tom Turophile

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »
Of course, I never have "extra" milk lying around, either, since I buy 1 gallon and it all goes into the cheese.  Next time!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 03:20:53 AM »
Congrats on the first try success!

Tom Turophile

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
Tried it with some extra milk this weekend that I saved from my mozzarella.  Another fail.

MrsMarbles

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Yeah, I don't get clumps either -- just fine flakes.  If I didn't use cheesecloth, I'd have nothing.  Also, my first two tries didn't work at all, probably because I gave up too soon.  On my third try, I noticed that after about 30 minutes after adding lemon juice and turning off the heat, the whey suddenly began churning.  When I strained it I got a little less than a cup of ricotta from the fresh whey of a two gallon Emmental recipe plus about 2/3 gallon left over from a Gouda recipe from a few days before.  I served it under potato gnocchi topped with pancetta, walnuts, and a little store-bought Gorgonzola.  Yum. 

So today I'm trying my first Gorgonzola and I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to make ricotta from the Gorgonzola whey -- will it just be too weird?  Has anyone tried this?  I'm going to combine it with some saved whey from Sunday's Feta recipe.  Probably won't work at all, but... well, I just have to try it and see how stinky it is for myself.

MrsMarbles

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Well, I got about a cup of ricotta again, so being more patient worked for me.  And just FYI it's not blue, in fact it doesn't smell or taste funky at all.  Maybe it will be different in a few days, if the heat didn't kill off the blue mold...  I didn't use any extra milk -- only the whey and some lemon juice right after turning off the heat.  I'm glad the OP posted that he was making Cheddar, since I'd wondered if mesophilic cheeses could make ricotta at all.