Author Topic: Eyed Cheese Like Leerdammer Brand - Does Cheese Size Matter?  (Read 2372 times)

windowater

Eyed Cheese Like Leerdammer Brand - Does Cheese Size Matter?
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »
Will try to make this as lucid and succinct as possible though I may ramble a bit.   Absolute newbie here.  Made 3 cheddars and one manchego so far.  Don’t want to invest much into something that may be a one hit wonder so still working with “make do” equipment.  Hate it when that cement block falls off the tomato can. 

My questions and comments:

1.   Want to make Leerdammer but the recipe calls for four gallons of milk and I am only equipped with a two gallon pot.  If I reduce the recipe by half will it still work?  Or if the cheese police find out will Mr. Cheney come by and waterboard me?

2.   Does size matter?  I just came from my local Save-On-Foods and saw a whole     Leerdammer there…it must have been two feet across.  And if the consensus is that I should stick to the four gallon recipe would using a four gallon food grade (free) bucket work or would the “plastic” aroma from the bucket  be picked up by the curds while they were being cooked?  Again, I don’t want to invest in a whole new double boiler setup until I’ve tasted some results.

3.   Moulds.  Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned “Cambro” containers.  Nothing makes my eyes go big and round as the words “On Sale” and they are at the moment at a nearby restaurant supply store. This seems an excellent alternative to expensive mail order things…..at least for the moment.

4.   Using cheese to inoculate cheese.  This may seem naïve but I’ve been reading where some of you use a blue cheese to inoculate your curds and wind up with a nice blue cheese.  Is there any point in doing this with say cheddar?  I have some very nice cheddar from Neal’s Yard.  Would I be better off eating it or grating some of it into my curds?  And somehow I don’t think inoculate is quite the right word but you get the idea.

5.   Finally, a tip of the hat to all those who contribute to the forums.  While it’s still  a bit of sensory overload for me at the moment I can see that there is a wealth of information to be had there.  Such selfless contributions are to be applauded. Thank you all.

FRANCOIS

Re: Eyed Cheese Like Leerdammer Brand - Does Cheese Size Matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:53:42 AM »
My 2 cents:
1 and 2.  This cheese requires eye formation.  This is very difficult, or impossible, to do with anythign less than a 10# wheel (about 12 gallons).  I personally wouldn't even bother trying to make the 4# gallon version.  The results will be edible, but just will not have the beautiful eye formation and supple texture fo the real thing.

4.  Blue cheese yes, as you are innoculating for the ripening culture not starter culture.  This method will not work for starter cultures, reliably anyway, but especially for long aged cheeses like a cheddar.  If you get cheddar from Neil's you are better off eating it.

padams

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:17 AM »
Cheese police....hehehe....are those the same guys that are gonna get me if I remove the tags on my pillows?
Welcome to the board...we LOVE a sense of humor here!

I often cut a recipe in half if I am trying it for the first time.  Some of my semi-hard cheese have been dryer (I guess from using the same pressing weight on 1 gal. recipe) but that is the only difference I have noticed so far!

humble_servant7

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
My 2 cents:
1 and 2.  This cheese requires eye formation.  This is very difficult, or impossible, to do with anythign less than a 10# wheel (about 12 gallons).  I personally wouldn't even bother trying to make the 4# gallon version.  The results will be edible, but just will not have the beautiful eye formation and supple texture fo the real thing.

4.  Blue cheese yes, as you are innoculating for the ripening culture not starter culture.  This method will not work for starter cultures, reliably anyway, but especially for long aged cheeses like a cheddar.  If you get cheddar from Neil's you are better off eating it.

What about 9 gallons?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
It's still really pushing it.  Make the wheel about 4 inches thick and you should have a good shot at a nice texture and eye formation.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
As Francous metioned it will not be filled with big beautiful eyes and the texture may be off slightly but don't let that discourage you from trying to make this cheese. You can't taste holes now can you?  ;)

Marta

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
So... did you make your leerdammer?  What happened?