Author Topic: Akawi (Ackawi, Akkawi, Ackawieh) Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 31345 times)

Alex

Re: Akawi (Ackawi, Akkawi, Ackawieh) Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
Hello zaidnowar,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to disappoint, as I do not have that recipe. But on this link posted earlier by member DJDebi there is a recipe and a tab for Arabic:

http://www.khayma.com/TAGTHIA/production.htm

I hope this helped.

mistercheers

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
@Alex

Guess what Alex (and anyone else following this thread)....   I found it!!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_7415738_make-akkawi-cheese.html

PS. I love Chelsea Hoffman!!! Thank you Chelsea!

MrsKK

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Let us know if you make this cheese and how it turns out for you.  Congrats on finding what you were looking for.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
Interesting looking cheese, but I have a few observations.

2 rennet capsules seems like a lot for one gallon of milk.

Covered in a "dark place" for 2 weeks. Is that at room temperature? What about the whey that will continue to drain off? Pitch it or let the cheese continue to soak in it?

Again - eight weeks at ROOM TEMPERATURE?

Ostensibly, all bacteria have been killed off by boiling for 30 minutes. This also denatures the proteins. And wiping with brine will help it develop a rind and keep molds and bacteria at bay. But at the same time, without lactic bacteria, this cheese will not develop any acidity to naturally fend off unwanted organisms. So, I have to believe that this has to "age" at cooler temperatures. Especially for 8 weeks. Otherwise, I would consider this a risky cheese for contamination. I'll bet this is one of those recipes with an addendum - "Oh, I forgot to mention that".

Without bacteria, this has to be a pretty bland cheese. Maybe not. Let us know.

Offline MunchkinsMom

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:05 AM »
Interesting looking cheese, but I have a few observations.

2 rennet capsules seems like a lot for one gallon of milk.

Covered in a "dark place" for 2 weeks. Is that at room temperature? What about the whey that will continue to drain off? Pitch it or let the cheese continue to soak in it?

Again - eight weeks at ROOM TEMPERATURE?

Ostensibly, all bacteria have been killed off by boiling for 30 minutes. This also denatures the proteins. And wiping with brine will help it develop a rind and keep molds and bacteria at bay. But at the same time, without lactic bacteria, this cheese will not develop any acidity to naturally fend off unwanted organisms. So, I have to believe that this has to "age" at cooler temperatures. Especially for 8 weeks. Otherwise, I would consider this a risky cheese for contamination. I'll bet this is one of those recipes with an addendum - "Oh, I forgot to mention that".

Without bacteria, this has to be a pretty bland cheese. Maybe not. Let us know.

There is a second recipe (essentially the same) on eHow at http://www.ehow.com/how_8169948_make-akawi-cheese.html.  Those much better instructions, seems to me (with only one successful Ricotta under my belt! ;D), may address the concerns you raised.  What think you?

I am planning to tackle this cheese and also a fresh Mizritha to be able to make some goodies for some of my international friends.

This is a great resource, and I appreciate all the expertise and advice you folks offer.  Thanks, Vicki

Umm Aaminah

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
Wow, thank you all for the links and recipes! I have also been looking for akkawi cheese and did not really think about doing my own until now! I just want to know if anyone have tried the recipe yet - and if it did go well?

jazz

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 06:35:07 AM »
I will also start a new topic... but just in case these folk are still active...did you ever get a good ackawi recipe ? That uses actual cultures...not vinegar?  Or is the original ackawi made with vinegar!?
Peace, Maryann