Author Topic: Provolone Without a pH Meter  (Read 4852 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Provolone Without a pH Meter
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
Making provolone is not as difficult as it seems whether or not you use a pH meter. I have never used a pH meter for provolone or mozzarella I just do several stretch tests until it looks right.

For this batch I used Peter Dixons recipe except that I don’t cut off a piece and throw it in 170° F water to test. I test it in the cheese vat. When it’s ready then I throw it in the hot water. When the curds are ready you can easily stretch them between your thumb and a few fingers. If it stretches but the edges look raggedy wait another 5 minutes or so and check it again.

When it stretches and begins to look opaque without breaking it’s ready to stretch.

I scoop the curd into a ball and throw it all in the hot water at once. After it gets stretched a bit I squeeze off smaller sections. It’s pretty heavy lifting over your head after a while (and splashes pretty good when it slips out of your hands).

I usually pull it and fold it over itself until it gets tough. That means it’s getting cool – time to grab another piece and let that one warm some.

After awhile it will look kind of shiny and rubbery it’s done form it into whatever shape you want. I am going to age this provolone so it will be formed into large balls. If you want to slice it for sammies put it into a tube. Put it in ice water to stiffen up for about 10 minutes or so.

While the cheese is cooling mix up your brine water. Throw the cheese into the brine and chill over night.

This also works for mozzarella - You have to learn to watch you cheese and get a feel for it. You don't need a meter to tell you when it's ready.

Good night!

Alex

Re: Provolone Without a pH Meter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
Good lesson and advice, especially for me (no pH meter),
thank you Debi.

Amatolman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
Great post. I plan to try Provolone next!

Tom Turophile

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »
Thanks for this -- I haven't bought some key equipment yet (pH meter, aging fridge, molds, etc) so what I can make is limited.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
Alex your welcome. I love seeing your cheeses it's the least I can do to help.

Tom if you have a pot, a strainer, thermometer and milk you are NOT limited in what you can make just how it looks for the most part. I have used bread baskets, wood boxes and plastic tubes for molds, even just cheese cloth. I use empty milk jugs filled with water for weight as well as cans of beans and tomatoes. I do not have a press for anything bigger than 1 pound of cheese. I make any cheese I want, hard soft and in between. It doesn't have to be fancy - just a matter of learning to feel and taste your curds. I find for anything but lactic cheeses my teeth are my best tester. How it feels and chews tells me everything I need to know about when the curds are done.

Aging can be done in a basement if it's cool. I know some people don't have basements. That would be really hard for me. Most that aren't finished will stay around 50 degrees if you don't live to far south. Mine gets wet every time it rains so I have to vacuum seal but it works well most of the year. Aging can be done in a standard fridge but the cheese has to be sealed or it will dry up. Takes longer but it works.

Sorry the pictures of the stetching aren't really clear. I tried to set the camera on a tripod and set the timer thingy and run. I wish you could tell the color/texture difference in the stretch but if you think of pizza and how the cheese gets kind of opaque when it stretches so yo can almost see through it like a blown up ballon you'll get what I mean.

I know the books and such say to throw a chunk in the hot water to test but if you test the curds in the vat/pot wich is only about 110 to 114 F degees and you get a good stretch it will be perfect at 170F degrees. Just be sure to wash you hands, nails and arms really well then pour your sanitizer over them and wash with it before sticking your hands in the pot. Roll up your sleeves too! I am really short and my vat is high so my arm is in the pot to the elbows. If you have hairy arms I'd suggest shaving them. Or scooping out curds.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
That's a good point.  I am scared/hesitant to experiment before I do something scientifically or by the book.

I am limited by my aging capabilities, living in the south (in the spring).  I've got that old fridge I'm converting, but it's at 45 degrees, low humidity, and has a gasket that need to be replaced.

For example, I'm getting some raw goat milk tomorrow, and I'm banging my head against the wall trying to find the "right" recipe.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
Try putting a pan of water in the bottom of the fridge with some salt in it. I also use a trailing piece of cheese cloth from the pan to the top of the cave and wet it every few days to keep humidity up. 45 is low but it will just slow down your aging it won't hurt most cheeses. I'd get started and adjust as you go.

Do be afraid to experiment as Alex pointed out somewhere out forefathers that started all this didn't have meters and gauges and thermometer and they made cheese! Milk will make cheese whether you like it or not - what type of chese is up to you.

What are you using for a starter?

Tom Turophile

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
I've got direct-set mesophilic starter at home (and no molds to add, although I could pick those up).

Perhaps a goat haloumi? (pg 130, Ricki's book).

It's those things like what temps to bring things up to, or how long to stir, that baffle me...I mean, I can follow a recipe, but as someone who loves to cook, recipes are only guides :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
I found some nice rectanglar plastic pichers at WalMart 2 for $6 that make nice loaf type molds. Just have to drill holes.

hydromojo

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
Debi - stupid Q, but what is the difference between mozz & prov ?

rahul

Amatolman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 01:32:05 PM »
Debi - stupid Q, but what is the difference between mozz & prov ?

rahul

There are slight variations in the recipe but the main difference is that provolone is aged.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:21 AM »
Some forms of mozzarella are also aged but most are eatten fresh. Provolone also has lipase to give it a nice little bite when aged. If you can make one you can make the other IMHO. Aged provolone is one of my favorite cheeses after about 6 to 12 months with a chunk of dried pepperoni, a hunk of warm Italian bread, a bowl of basil and garlic infused extra virgin olive oil (to dip the bread in) and a glass of sweet red wine. Now that's an Italian picnic!

Alex

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 04:59:53 AM »
As now I understood the difference ;), I'll take the Provolone option  ::):D ;D, great menu.

cmharris6002

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
Wow Debi, great pics!!

know the books and such say to throw a chunk in the hot water to test but if you test the curds in the vat/pot wich is only about 110 to 114 F degees and you get a good stretch it will be perfect at 170F degrees.

I do this to. It is VERY reliable :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »
Glad to hear it Christy. Deffinately works best for me that way. Then you know that the acidity is right and it's not just the hot water helping the cheese to stretch/melt.