Author Topic: New Cheese Maker from the Gulf Coast  (Read 8588 times)

Gulf Coast

Re: New Cheese Maker from the Gulf Coast
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:11 AM »
Yes, it's a pretty specialized market for cheesemaking equipment and supplies. Probably your best bet locally would be a homebrew shop, but even then it's doubtful that they would have an adequate selection of products.

I buy all my stuff online from merchants like cheesemaking.com and thecheesemaker.com, but there are plenty of other retailers here.

Hi Mark!

Thank you for the great link. I have only found one home brew shop within 70 miles. The Shady Lady is located on Nine Mile Road in Pensacola. She does sell the same items that the New England Cheese supply does as well as wine and beer brewing supplies. I bought some sour cream starter from her and should have some ready in a few hours.

I am amazed that there are not more DIY wine and cheese shops in this area. There are a lot of wineauxes!

Gulf Coast

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:05 AM »
I am about 2 hours north of you. We come to Destin about once a year. What are the laws about selling raw milk in FL? Anybody know?

Hi Farmer!

I guess I should say hi neighbor. Two hours north puts you somewhere in Central Alabama or South Alabama depending upon your speed.

The  law is new to me. You can sell raw milk in the State of Florida only for the consumption of animals. Farmers sell milk, cream, and butter for the consumption of animals.

I had a long talk with my dog. He told me that he wanted cheese. He smiled wagged his tail and said do not forget the gervais.

Gulf Coast

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:20 AM »
Welcome "Gulf Coast", nice hat! Destin Florida, tough location ;)!

Most members without access to raw milk including myself quite happily use store bought cow's milk for making cheese. Another idea for you is to make Light Cream Cheese, sold in stores in US as American style Neufchatel. It takes two days to make and is a lactic acid coagulated cheese that sometimes uses just a little rennet. If you are using store bought pasteurized milk then you need a low temp (mesophilic) starter culture to goose the milk as it is largely biologically dead. I see from your OP that you didn't buy any in which case you can use store bought buttermilk, but be sure to age it first before adding to milk to up it's microorganism count.

On cow's cream, I'm same as you, can only find highly biologically dead UP cream in stores, thus I don't make much Cream Cheese or double or triple cream cheeses, that said, full fat/whole cow's milk makes a high enough fat content cheese for me anyway ::).

Have fun!

Hi John,

Thank you for the kind welcome. The hat is from villagehatshop.com  They have a great variety. Destin is tough but someone has to live here. Between Pensacola and Panama City there are still some pristine beaches with snow white sand but now the best are in National and State Parks.

I am hot on the trail of some warm whole fresh  milk. I grew up with Neufchatel and it is on my list to make. Next week I will be visiting the nearest source and buying mesophillic starter and some other supplies.

Thank you for the help.

FarmerJd

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »
Maybe some day I can help your dog. ;)  I'll holler on my next trip south.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »
Welcome!

You can also check out this site if you are looking for raw goat milk:  www.dairygoatinfo.com

Start a post in the Cheese & Dairy Section to find out if any of the members are near you.

Gulf Coast

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
Maybe some day I can help your dog. ;)  I'll holler on my next trip south.
[/quote)

Hi Farmer!

I made a connection today with a fellow animal lover. It was incredible. A few miles from where I live a friend from my High School days has goats and makes wine. The last time I saw him dinosaurs walked the earth.

Let me know when you are coming down, perhaps we can get together.

Gulf Coast

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:42 AM »
Welcome!

You can also check out this site if you are looking for raw goat milk:  www.dairygoatinfo.com

Start a post in the Cheese & Dairy Section to find out if any of the members are near you.

Hi Bella!

Thank you for the link and information. You and the other forum members have been so very helpfull. I appreciate your kind response.

marksto

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
Hi Farmer, I'm down in the Tampa Bay area. One suggestion for finding sources for raw milk is to try Craigslist. I see there are lists for both Panama City and Pensacola.

I have had luck finding both raw goat and cow milk through the Tampa list. If you don't see any ads offering for sale try posting your own request to buy - and of course include that you are intending its use for pet consumption.

Gulf Coast

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:11 AM »
Hi Farmer, I'm down in the Tampa Bay area. One suggestion for finding sources for raw milk is to try Craigslist. I see there are lists for both Panama City and Pensacola.

I have had luck finding both raw goat and cow milk through the Tampa list. If you don't see any ads offering for sale try posting your own request to buy - and of course include that you are intending its use for pet consumption.

Hi Marksto!

I have not been in the Tampa area for several years. I would like to visit and see an MLB game. Your area and Central Florida seem to have many dairy connections.

I have made a couple of goat connections in my area and surely some cow / cream connections will follow. It is like the bamboo telegraph. Zen happens!

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I would not have thought of Craig's List.