Author Topic: Be careful buying Milk  (Read 13959 times)

padams

Re: Be careful buying Milk
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
Linux, the next time I am asked why I refuse to use cool whip or "what's wrong with it?".....I will show them your post! 

linuxboy

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Aww, c'mon, Frankenfood can be great!

Here, let me ask a random passerby, get their feelings on it.

Frau Blucher, ..."

Neeiigghh...

padams

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »
 ;D LOL!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »
ROLF!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:48 AM »
LB - I read your post to Nancy and she said "DISGUSTING". We may have broken her Cool Whip habit. So... Is there a way to make a lower fat, lower calorie natural whipped cream without all the other additives?

linuxboy

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 04:52:25 AM »
Without all the additives? And you still want the mouthfeel of a full cream? Huh, you just want to give me a challenge tonight, eh? :)

I'm up for it; bring it. But, you will need a stabilizer, else it will fall flat too fast. Good news is that you can use gelatin as the stabilizer.

Take some gelatin, dissolve in water. Take some skim milk. It must be skim, best you can get, meaning the most whey proteins as possible. Milk has two dynamics by which it will form a hydrocolloid (foam), either above 10% fat, or below 3-4% fat. This happens by different mechanisms, end result is similar.

Anyway, take the dissolved gelatin, add it to the milk. Refrigerate if it's too warm. Then whip in a kitchenaid until it forms a stable foam. About the end of the soft peak stage, maybe a little more into early firm peaks. Add in some powdered sugar, vanilla, etc. If the mouthfeel is wrong, whip up a little full-fat cream and fold in the two together, carefully, so you don't collapse it.

Et la voila: low-fat whipped "cream" au linuxboy. C'est la cuisine formidable.

Hearts and kidneys are tinker toys!