Author Topic: Anyone added lipase to Cheddar? What was the result?  (Read 2396 times)

The_blue

Anyone added lipase to Cheddar? What was the result?
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Morning folk!

I've gotten a bag of sharp lipase powder and have made my 1st feta (best cheese yet!)

My poor understanding is that lipase enhances flavor by breaking down fat.... Is that correct?

If that's correct why don't we use it on other cheeses? Has anyone tried?

MrsKK

Re: Anyone added lipase to Cheddar? What was the result?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
I tried it in colby once to see if it would enhance the flavor so I could use it at a younger age, but didn't notice any difference.  Maybe I didn't use enough?

I don't know the science behind how lipase works, though.  I'm sure someone can explain it.

cheesehead

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
I tried it in colby once to see if it would enhance the flavor so I could use it at a younger age, but didn't notice any difference.  Maybe I didn't use enough?

I don't know the science behind how lipase works, though.  I'm sure someone can explain it.

I don't have alot of experience with lipase but it is an enzyme and by its name "lipase" it's purpose is to break down lipids (fats).  Some cheeses use lipase to get the final flavor profile that determines a particular cheese to be that cheese...

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
I have just cracked a Cheddar that I used Lipase in. It's very young but has a distinct sharpness not normally noticed in a cheese only a few weeks old.