Author Topic: I am a new member! i have questions!  (Read 1287 times)

Nathaniel

I am a new member! i have questions!
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a cheese at Whole Foods that was so good, I thought I'd explore cheese making (it's called Red Hawk, by the way; I knew you were curious).

I see all of the recommendations to start with something simple like 30 minute mozzarella or whatnot, but I am a foolhardy youth consumed by the throes of bravado!  Could someone suggest something audacious for me?  I don't have any equipment and have no knowledge of cheesemaking, except that I need to curdle milk with an enzyme called rennet and extract the solids.  I don't really care if my cheese doesn't come out well--or that I vomit, for that matter--I just want to make a daring and badass cheese!  Obviously I am incapable of conjuring an artisanal cheese, but I want something of moderate difficulty, even if I'm biting off more than I can chew (though preferably something not requiring too much new equipment).
Much obliged!

SueVT

Re: I am a new member! i have questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
You could start with Camembert or Reblochon, they don't take very long to ripen so you get (almost) immediate gratification.

Sue

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
I agree. Not much equipment needed for these cheeses, just a few molds and the cultures and enzymes. I'm not sure how audacious they are, unless you let them (especially the reblochon) get really ripe and stinky. They definitely are not the middle of the road or simple makes. I've mucked up my first 2 camemberts, and I'm working on my first washed rind cheese and it takes quite an attention to detail and patience.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »
Welcome Nathaniel, moz is not a simple cheese to master as you can see from many of the posts in that board. You already have good advice for a minimal equipment but tough cheese to make, most start with something simple and build up, good luck ;D.