Author Topic: My First Emmental!  (Read 3447 times)

Brie

My First Emmental!
« on: April 20, 2010, 05:27:46 AM »
Finally let go and cut my first Emmental--here it is at 5 months! Excited about the nice whole formation. Wondering how to store the rest--any ideas?

linuxboy

Re: My First Emmental!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:35:12 AM »
Vac pac and keep in the refrigerator. Will keep for years that way with a 3-4 mm bag.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
A-we-some... How big is this wheel?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
Nice job Brie. Aren't Swiss types fun? And they get better with a couple of months more aging as the enzymes and proteolysis do their thing. Vac bagging is the way to go for "leftovers". Just put it back in your cave and it will keep going.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
Thanks, guys--off to Sam's Club for my Food Saver!  This was only a two pound wheel, so I am amazed at the size of the eyes--thought they would be smaller with this size of wheel.  I have another going that I will age longer, based on Sailer's suggestion.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
Wow! Fantastic swiss. Terrific eyes. I'm so envious.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »
Great job Brie!

cmharris6002

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:39:46 AM »
Beautiful cheese!!!

Cheesetart

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
This cheese is on my agenda for tomorrow.  Taking a "mental health"day from the office and I am planning to make it a "cheese day"!  Any suggestions/tips?  I've read multiple postings and think that I have agood grasp of this one -- but if there is anything special that anyone wants to call out, I am ready to listen!!

Brie

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:36:51 AM »
The one thing that I notice with the alpine cheese is that when sweating, you cannot have the temp too high or it starts oozing out the fat, which will make the cheese dry. I live in Arizona, so that was hard for me. Most say to sweat at 68 degrees--I'm sure mine was at least 70, and it did start to ooze a bit, but turned out fine, in my humble opinion. I have a few more aging, so we will see how they turn out. You never know with a Swiss, until you cut it and can see the hole formation. Well worth the wait.

Cheesetart

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
Well it is done and in the press -- and I be anxiously awaiting the opening!   All went well in the process -- one of the easiest I have done -- now we wait to see if the end result is favorable!!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
After it's out of the press, brine it and then stick it in your cool cave for 10 days. You don't want the Propionic bacteria starting to produce gas until after a rind has formed.

Cheesetart

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »
Great info!  Thanks.