Author Topic: washing frequency question  (Read 1925 times)

clherestian

washing frequency question
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
I am wondering about washing frequency in general. How does it affect rind development? What would be the difference between a cheese that is washed every other day as opposed to once a week?

More specifically, I usually create a rind with a mix of geo, p candidum, KL71 and b linens. How does washing frequency affect that particular rind?

captaincurd

Re: washing frequency question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
I'm just wondering if you have gotten any results you would care to share?  It seems to be a common question.

linuxboy

Re: washing frequency question
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
every time you wash, you knock down the molds and slow down their development. The frequency of washing has to do with what rind style you are targeting. If you don't wash at all, you will end up with this very thick rind, as all the molds keep growing and then die off. If you wash every day, you will wind up with a thin rind that will not flavor the cheese interior that much. If you wash somewhere in between, you will achieve a result somewhere in between

Also, differentiate between a smear rind (brick cheese, limburger, etc), a washed bloomy rind (specialized cams), an a complex, multi-species rind (tomme), and a salt brine rind (gruyere). They all have different approaches. Smear rind you dunk until the colonies are well established. Washed bloomy you let the bloom take hold, then wash periodically to knock it down, then let it build up again, then knock it down again &c, multi-species varies, depends on what you want to do as noted in the beginning, and regular salt brine you wash more frequently at first, every day, then switch to every other day, then several times a week, &c. Have to see how the rind is developing to switch it over, but in general, it is 1-2 weeks per frequency type.