Author Topic: Hygrometer - Cheap Models  (Read 3546 times)

windowater

Hygrometer - Cheap Models
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:37:52 AM »
For what it's worth and disposable at $2.99.  Canadian Tire.com and search for Hygrometer.

W.

Sorry, couldn't make the link thing work and the attachement is useless...oh well

w.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:44:26 AM by windowater »

MarkShelton

Re: Hygrometer - Cheap Models
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
Here is the link: Canadian Tire Hygrometer

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the cheap one though... I got a few off e-bay for $5 each, and the technical manual said it was accurate to +/- 8% above 70% RH. That's quite a bit! Although I did put 2 next to each other, and they both stabilized at the same point. Whether that point was correct or not I may never know.

windowater

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »
So when I got to Canadian Tire with my wad of "Canadian Tire Money" found a matching thermometer and  bought the pair.   On my balcony for half and hour....registering 10C and 70% RH both in accord with what Environment Canada says are the current conditions for Vancouver.   They are analogue.

w.

MarkShelton

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
Hahaha, wad of "canadian tire money" ;D I have a cheese budget!
Well it's good that it checked out. And for that price, I hope you got a few! I actually have 3. One in one fridge, one in another, and one in my ripening box so that I can adjust the humidity for my "high humidity" cheeses like camembert. Also, if you have more than one in the same fridge, if they start to diverge in readings, you know that one of them is going bad. Kinda use them to test each other.

Amatolman

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
Looks like I have to get down to Canadian Tire sometime soon. I hope in the not too distant future to be aging cheese possible in wine fridge.

humble_servant7

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
Hahaha, wad of "canadian tire money" ;D I have a cheese budget!
Well it's good that it checked out. And for that price, I hope you got a few! I actually have 3. One in one fridge, one in another, and one in my ripening box so that I can adjust the humidity for my "high humidity" cheeses like camembert. Also, if you have more than one in the same fridge, if they start to diverge in readings, you know that one of them is going bad. Kinda use them to test each other.

You have a "ripening box"? Hmmm... interesting. do  you have a link of that somewhere-- I would love to be able to build one for high humidity cheeses as well.

MarkShelton

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
I don't think my ripening box is quite what you are thinking it is. It's just a tupperware container with a small draining rack set inside. The whole thing goes in the fridge. To control the humidity, I can prop open the lid. That will let out some moisture that builds up after evaporating from the cheese.