Author Topic: Thermostat - Johnson Controls Digital A419 Series  (Read 8300 times)

Cheese Head

Thermostat - Johnson Controls Digital A419 Series
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
My 1.6 year old analog 120V A19 series Johnson Controls external fridge thermostat no longer works and has failed-on, resulting in the fridge being governed by it's built in thermostat and thus the warmest I could operate my mini cave was 38F, too cold.

Thus I ordered and received after 1 week shipping, a digital A419 series Johnson Controls thermostat from Rancoetc.com in US prewired in NEMA 1 plastic housing for USD80 + 10 shipping. It can be set to use on 220V or 110V and to govern heating or cooling, you can also control other things such as adjustable differential, adjustable anti-short cycle delay, and a temp offset (setback) function, all of which I left on factory default.

So far works fine, sensor wire connection looks a little delicate.

Unit accidentally came with jumpers set to heat, phoned Rancoetc, they helpfully walked me through changing it.

Green LED light in last picture when lit means power is passing through to fridge.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Thermostat - Johnson Controls Digital A419 Series
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:24:54 AM »
It looks like they forgot to put the strain relief in there.

marksto

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
I've never seen a digital controller from Johnson before, I thought they only made the analog style controllers.

I have experience with Johnson analog and Ranco digital controllers, and much prefer the Ranco model like this one: http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429705

As long as you're OK with doing some basic wiring to take a 10 ft extension cord and splice it into the controller, you end up with a unit that has precise and adjustable control and can be set to either heat or cool modes. Much better than the analog Johnson unit and for $49 it's about the same price. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »
Johnson has been selling both for several years now.  There used to be a huge price difference but not any more.