Author Topic: Saffron Edam--I went wild!  (Read 2077 times)

Brie

Saffron Edam--I went wild!
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:30:29 AM »
I'm beginning to like Edam's--short aging time and many flavors to add. Wow--saffron is a great addition--I'm thinking of calling this "Risotto Cheese". Great colors--still thinking of what to pair it with. Any suggestions?

scubagirlwonder

Re: Saffron Edam--I went wild!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:40:16 AM »
Beautiful Edam, Brie!! I can't wait til I'm able to cut into my saffron caciotta!  :D

Brie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:48:40 AM »
Can't wait to see your pic's and experience with that cheese--I have that on my list and am extremely excited for you! It sounds so interesting--when will you cut?

MarkShelton

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
Do you mean pairing with food or drinks?

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »
I won't be cracking into my Saffron Cacciotta until the middle to end of May.... :P The waiting is so hard!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:46:24 AM »
Great looking cheese Brie. I have decide saffron was born for cheese. Everything I've tried it in is wonderful. I even mix a bit in with riccotta the other night and it was great.

I like edam grated and used for stuffed pork loin with some sweet peppers, onion and spinach. Bet the saffron would make a nice touch.

Brie

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 02:25:31 AM »
Mark--I am ondering about wine-pairings with this cheese. The saffron is very prominent, and thinking about decreasing the next time around; yet it has a taste that is quite pleasant--for food pairings I would use as an ingredient more than paired against something--unless on a crostini and topped with caramelized onions and bone marrow--now that would be the ultimate decadence!

MarkShelton

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »
Check out this book: What to Drink with What You Eat. I think it is fantastic. I even created a thread in the library for it.

Consulting it, saffron goes well with Chardonnay, or other dry white or rose wines. Edam goes especially well with Riesling, but also well with Pinot Noir, and other medium-bodied reds, as well as dry champagne, which may be your best bet to compliment the two flavors of the cheese (the saffron, and the cheese itself).