Author Topic: The Cam came to the Party  (Read 2248 times)

Brie

The Cam came to the Party
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:48:42 AM »
This Cam was not ready to come to my cheese-tsting party,but needed to show itself as a cheese that differentiates from all the others that I offered. Ash-rind, it actually tasted great (it's brothers will age for another few weeks).

vogironface

Re: The Cam came to the Party
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:07 AM »
Brie,

Looks yummy.  Do you find any flavor from the ash?  I have read that it imparts almost no flavor.  Do you use a raw milk?

I read recently that to add an interesting aesthetic appeal to your cam you could cut it in half horizontally once you have a good bloom.  Then you sprinkle some ash in the middle and let the cheese heal over itself.  Think of it as a backwards oreo.  :)  One day I will try this.

vavroom

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
Ben, what you describe sounds like the "Morbier look", although Morbier is significantly different from Camembert. FWIW, they used to put a layer of ash on the curd from the morning milking, to protect it until they could put the curd from afternoon milking. Doesn't really change the taste, but makes for a striking looking cheese :)

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Vavroom,

Yup, you nailed it.  That is exactly what I imagine it would look like.

See link

Brie

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
The ash has no taste, but helps develop a nice rind. Yes, raw organic milk only. I do make a goat cheese in the style of Humbolt Fog that has ash in the middle--it's added into the mold with the curds. And, Morbier? Here's both a Cam and a Morbier--ash added halfway between curds while molding. Cam is a mold-ripened cheese and Moriber is a washed rind cheese that is brined every other day with a tad of b. linens

Brie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
Pic of the Humbolt Fog

vavroom

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:16 AM »
Now that made my mouth water!