Author Topic: Gouda troubles  (Read 3392 times)

scubagirlwonder

Gouda troubles
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:57 AM »
Ok...trying my first Gouda and not sure what I did wrong....(using recipe from 200 Cheeses)
After renneting, with a 45 minute set time, I cut the curds into 1 inch cubes (everything good so far)...However, after allowing to rest 5 minutes I stirred the curd and they just immediately broke down into rice sized pieces. Not to be deterred, I kept following the recipe, cooked/washed the curds and let set prior to moulding. The recipe said that the curds would sink to the bottom and mat together, and that I should ladle large chunks into the moulds, being careful not to break up the curds too much. Here's where I have issues...the curds never really matted together, they settled but as soon as I tried to scoop them they just broke apart again....I tried removing a bunch of whey to see if they could compress better under their own weight, but they just kept falling apart....anyway, they are moulded now and under weights, but I am wondering for next time what I did wrong...any thoughts?  :-[

linuxboy

Re: Gouda troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »
Your milk is off. When curds shatter like that, it is almost always the milk. Usually, because mineral content is off or it is overprocessed. Try adding some CaCl2, and try a different milk.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
Thanks LB,
Appreciate the reply! I did add CaCl....maybe not enough? Or maybe my milk was just off....
 I'm learning that cheesemaking just has a plethora of variables that if even one of them is slightly off results can vary greatly....
~Cheers

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »
If you added some CaCl2, then it was your milk. Sorry, it happens :(. Maybe there's an easy way to fix it for store bought milk, but I don't know of any, except to measure the properties and standardize it. Sometimes, the milk is just bad. The biggest criteria for grade A is the handling and pasteurization. And farmers get paid based on total protein and fat content. All the pumping, agitation, transport, etc don't matter, and neither does the feed very much, and neither does the exact form of sanitation so long as it meets the bare minimum requirements. Same for homogenization, there's a huge range of pressure that's valid, and at higher pressures, that milk becomes no good for cheesemaking.

I've had curds shatter before on me with store bought milk. When that happens, I either drain it and make the best of it, or inoculate with a blue or white mold and let the molds eat through and liquify everything so I get a decent paste and flavor.

Hope you find some milk that works for you. There's a slight chance your rennet may be old, but it doesn't seem that way.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
well...the troubles continue...I just unmoulded the goudas (2 450gm kadovas and 1 small tomme) and the tops of the 2 kadova moulded goudas cracked when I pulled the follower off....argh. This was my first time using my new kadova moulds and didn't know what to expect, but after damaging the first one I was really careful with the second and still tore it...such a bummer....at least the tomme moulded one came out beautiful. I used Sailor's method of pressing in the pot and it seems the curds knit beautifully (so at least there's one good outcome of this gouda fiasco!!) I will be pressing in the pot from now on I think!

Any way to repair these kind of  tears? (probably too late anyway, since I just set them in their brine...)

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
No, not now. In the future, you can soak the kadova liner in a citric acid or vinegar solution. Get the pH low, 4.5-5, and it won't stick as much.

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 10:03:03 PM »
What kind of vinegar solution? Also I read any others say to dip them in whey... is there any advantage either way?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
I use a mixture of 1 quart vinegar and 1 tablespoon of CaCl2. I keep this in a spray bottle and spray the Kadova liner and follower every time I turn my cheeses. When doing my last turn before overnight pressing, I spray the liner AND I lightly spray the surface of the entire cheese too. This has completely stopped the sticking in my Kadova molds.

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
Same idea. Dipping in whey that has a low pH (5.0-5.4 usually) acidifies the surface. Vinegar solution at 1 TBsp per gallon should give you about a 5.2 pH. But, this is a case where a lower pH is not a huge deal, add more if you like. A good idea to add a little CaCl2 to prevent the surface from turning slimy. Most of the solution will drip off. It's the residue on the surface that remains acidic, and that prevents sticking.

edit: sailor, that's brilliant. I usually have a bucket made up, and dip everything in it, and then pile in the curds. A spray bottle solution is much more elegant, and no bucket to rinse afterward.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:56:39 PM by linuxboy »

BigCheese

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »
Good to know. Thank you both. Again and again, the more I find here the more I feel like I can't start making cheese without reading every single post here. I don't want to miss a thing. I am that type...

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
Linuxboy and Sailor, Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will definitely use the vinegar solution next time and I think the spray bottle is a great idea! Brilliant gentlemen, thank you.
 :D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
Dipping works well, but I find the spray REALLY handy when trying to get a cheese flipped quickly - especially on the last flip of the night when I spray the cheese itself. In a dip, I use diluted solution like LB suggests. However I use full strength vinegar in the spray because I am using a lot less. I'm sure it could still be diluted 50/50 with water, but I'm getting really good results. When cheese decides to stick to a Kadova, it's a huge mess, so I'm going for the overkill. The added CaCl2 seems to be just as important as the pH.

humble_servant7

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:06 AM »
Your milk is off. When curds shatter like that, it is almost always the milk. Usually, because mineral content is off or it is overprocessed. Try adding some CaCl2, and try a different milk.

Is there a way of measuring the milk for which one could properly ascertain whether or not the milk in question is capable for cheese-making?

A Titrable Acidity kit perhaps?

humble_servant7

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:59 PM »
anybody? any takers on my previous question?

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
IMHO, what causes that shattering, as opposed to a weak set, are damaged proteins. Proteins are damaged by excess handling (agitation, homogenization), and/or heat. Also, the milk itself may not be best. Could be lower protein, like holstein, or come from a dairy feeding rations that push volume and numbers (silage with concentrates, etc).

TA will tell you little except the freshness. You'd need to test for PF %, MSNF, BF, etc.