Author Topic: GDAY from Australia  (Read 2798 times)

bundy

GDAY from Australia
« on: August 30, 2008, 12:15:26 AM »
Hi all
   66 year old started to make cheese about 6 months ago.
Retired so making cheese finds me some thing to do.
i also have 6 bee hives and i am trying to put honey in to cheese ,with no success.
Bundy

Cheese Head

Re: GDAY from Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »
Howdy bundy in Oz and welcome to this forum!

That would definately make a sweet cheese ;), I have not seen a recipe tht adds sugar or honey but you can buy desert type cheeses so someone has figured out how.

If you've made any other non-sweetened type cheeses we'd be interested to know. Again welcome.

SalMac

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
Hi Bundy

What have you tried in terms of adding honey to cheese and what happened?

I think its a really good idea. In greece rich yoghurt and honey is absolutely beautiful. The right cheese with honey might emulate that.

Best of luck

Sal

Tea

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
Hi Bundy from another Aussie.  Does your name refer to where you live, or what you like to drink? Just wondering.
Your very own beehives, sigh!!  THey are a lot of work I realise, but what I wouldn't give to have a beehive.
I have wondered about putting honey in cheese too, and I am undecided as to when to add it to the milk.  I think after it has set and while there is still warm whey would be the time, but I confess that I am yet to experiement with that one.
Having all that honey, have you tried making mead? Would be a perfect opportunity for you.
Anyway, welome to the board.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
Bundy could you tell us what trials you have done so far with honey that have not turned out.  My mind has been a buss with ideas and I thought it might be interesting to know what you have tried and what you have not tried.

bundy

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »
sorry to every one for not getting back to you sooner.
have not put honey in to my cheese as yet,still not quiet game to give it a go.
have made mead ok for after dinner but no good for a bar-b-q
live in Nth Queensland the drink is bundy & coke.
as Tea said when would you add the honey to the cheese and what cheese would be good to try on.
Bundy

bec1986

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
i would be a real chicken to start with and add it with some dissolved sugar to a cream cheese or nufchatel that was finished and if that worked work it backwards and step by step batch by batch add it earlier and see what happens, if you could perfect a honey fruit cream cheese you would be a friend of mine lol other than that experiment with a cheese you have succeeded on before so you know what the process is supposed to go like. personally i dont think honey in a hard cheese would be something i would like..but you never know. also just a thought...would the sugar in honey feed bad bacteria like yeast?

Tea

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »
I have been wondering two things.  Whether it could be added to the whey after setting, or added in powder/granule form to the finished curd.  I am worried that the addition of honey to the milk my inhibit curd setting, so I might play around with a small quantity to see.
The sugar content is a factor but honey doesn't have enough of the nutrients needed for yeast to ferment available, so it could be that the cheese curd will provide that.  I was hoping to have a play with that today, but made mozz instead.

I regards to the mead, I would think that a red, or chilli mead would go well at a bbq.

Treva

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »
There is a delicious and smooth honey goat cheese on the market. A quick search on the internet was fruitless. I'll find out more about it and post a report. Honey and cheese. Yum!

Tea

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
Thanks for that Treva, that has given me some hope that this can be done.

Treva

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:43:59 PM »
Found it!

http://www.atalanta1.com/detail.asp?ProductID=253

From Belgium. It is like a dessert. I love it. I would be very interested to see cheeses, especially goat cheese - with different honey flavors. Tell us about the honey part. I encourage you to push yourself. Raw cheeses. Raw honey. Big flavors. I am sure there would be a demand for your cheese.

Tea

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:04:54 PM »
Thanks Trava for that.  Interesting that it can be cut but spread too. I will let you know what I get.
Many thanks.