Author Topic: Cutting cheese before waxing  (Read 2002 times)

WalkingStickMan

Cutting cheese before waxing
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:47:01 AM »
We cut our cheese into 4 sections after we pressed it so we could experiment with different aging times. Will a rind appear on the cheese that was exposed after we cut it into sections? Is it ok to leave this part exposed during the drying process or will it go bad? It has been only 8 hours or so and a rind is appearing on the outer part, but the inside is still quite damp and soft.

padams

Re: Cutting cheese before waxing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:20 AM »
wow....that's a new question....I haven't thought of that before!

I dont have any advice, being fairly new myself, but welcome to the board!

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:01 AM »
From my limited experience, I would say yes, but ideal would be to press smaller batches I think. This is because then the entire outer surface gets brined or salted (assuming it is that type of cheese), as opposed to what I think you might have now which is a brined outside and unbrined edges from cutting. You could cut before brining, but if there are some openings in the paste you might not want them getting brined to so much.

Everyone else here knows better than me though, I guess I just felt like typing.

Take it away pros...

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
I did the same thing when I was new at making cheddar.  I waited 2-3 days until the outside was consistently dry when turned, then cut the cheese into 2 quarters one half and waxed them all.  I opened at 1 month, six weeks, and two months.  Making smaller cheeses really isn't beneficial because they dry out so quickly that you dont' get much cheese to try.

I learned rapidly, though, that even two months isn't enough time for cheddar to develop really good flavor.  It is more like 4-6 months at minimum to be really tasty.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »
Cheese ages better when aged in larger wheels. Best to wax whole, then cut at, perhaps, 3 months--then cut (and taste). Wipe cut sides with vinegar--let dry, and rewax or vacuum seal. Good luck!