Author Topic: Camembert #3  (Read 4925 times)

Tea

Camembert #3
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
Ok made this last monday, and it is supposed to be a Normanby style camembert.

I used ;

5 ltr raw milk
Type A starter 100ml per 5lt
rennet to instructions
White spore powder

Heat milk to setting temp of 32C add starter and white spore and leave for 60-90 mins.

Add diluted rennent and stir well and let set for 30-35min, maintaining setting temp.
Cut curd into 2cm cubes and allow to sit for 5 mins.
Turn curd over and let sit for 10 min, repeat twice more.

Drain off 1/3 of the whey and replace with warm pasturised water.  The mix should now be at 35C

Turn over curd again, and let sit for another 10 mins.
Drain off half of the whey are pour the curd into hoops which are on lined draining trays.

Invert hoops at 10 mins, half hour, hour, 3,5 and 8 hours.
Leave over night.

Put cheese into a 20% brine solution for 20 mins to 1 hour depending on size.  Turn half way through.  A little spore powder can be added to the brine.

Put on a rack to dry for 24 hours, then into a humid environment at 11 to 15c and store for 8 - 10 days turned on the 3rd 6th and 8th days.  They should be covered with white mould by the finish.

Wrap cheese and store for another 1-2 weeks at 11 - 15C.
Cheese should be ready for eating 3-6 weeks after making.

Tea

Re: Camembert #3
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:05 PM »
Turned these yesterday, and too have stuck to the bamboo mat and torn off some of the white mould.
Boohoo, can't work out what I am doing wrong!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:57 AM »
The only thing I can think of is turning more often or using a plastic mat, mine alos stick to plastic mat but th rind doesn't get torn off.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
Yes I have been looking at getting some plastic matting, as the bamboo are getting mould spots on them.  I have been putting them in boiling water and steriliser and this seems to have killed off the mould, but they are starting to look a bit tacky.
Maybe I just need to slow down a bit when lifting them off.  Due to turn them today, so hopefully I have a bit more success.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »
I slowed down a bit and worked the mat off the cheeses and they came away fine.  Mould seems to have regrown over the other sections, and I have wrapped and left to mature in the cave for another week or two.  They are smelling fine at this point, and seem to be getting a little softer around the edges.
Fingers crossed.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
I opened one yesterday, and there definately seems to be an improvement on the texture to the last lot that I made.  You can clearly see the maturing line in the cheese, and the outside section that has matured was lovely and soft and gooey.
I am going to leave the others in the cave for another week before I put them in the fridge and will see if the cheese changes/matures all the way to the middle.
If it gets too hot, I may tranfer to the fridge, and leave them for a couple of weeks before I open another one.  We will see.  Must say that this batch had been encouraging after the last brie failure.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »
Here is the cheese a week later, and there is a difference in how the cheese has matured.  This batch has been encouraging, as for the first time I think I am beginning to understand the "maturing" process a little better.  The cheese was definately soft and gooey, although it doesn't show up in these photo's. 
Will open the remaining one in another week and see if it had finally matured through to the center.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:33 AM »
Tea, looks wonderful ;D, great job!

Tea

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
Thanks CH, I was pleased too.  It was encouraging to see the maturing line in the cheeses, as that is the first time I have seen that.

crashtest

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
Hi Tea, does look good ! Inspired by your post I've attempted the Camembert run again.
I notice you mention Starter Type A - is that flora danica?

also, did you wrap in celulose film at any point. think that's where I went very wrong last time........

Best wishes

Crashtest.
Sydney

Tea

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
Hi Crashtest, in the Cheese making - Discussion section, on page two, under the thread heading "Tea's Type A Culture" I have give the full culture names, if you want to look that up.  But no it doesn't appear to have that strain in it.

I purchased the proper wraps for the camembert, but unfortunately they are just too small for my cheeses, so I just wrap in Glad Wrap.
HTH

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 02:41:50 AM »
Tea,
I realize that this is an old thread, but I did want to comment on your Camembert......
So far I have only dreamed of getting this type of texture on my cheeses.
Could you please tell me at what temperature you have been aging your cheese, from start to fnish?
My process has been as follows:
First day (while flipping in the mold) 70 degrees. F.
Next day, into the cave at approx. 48 degrees for 10 to 14 days.
Next step, (after mold has formed well) wrap in cheese paper and place in regular household fridge at approx. 39 degrees F until the cheese feels soft through the paper.
My problem is that the edges are always so soft that what looks like milk runs out of them and the center is still quite firm.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but it keeps me up at night. I have this little problem with things not going as I want them to, and this is driving me crazy.
I'd be very interested in hearing your aging process to see if I can duplicate your success.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »
I agree Tea should keep to herself as her cheeses look way better than anyone else's....LOL I mean excellent looking cheese, seriously, picture perfect.

P.S. The last picture I believe were taken with yellow light and the normal cheese is probably white, but with the yellow light your cheese looks like a perfect Mont De Cats, absolutely good looking cheese Tea, makes us all realize what Raw Milk can do.