Author Topic: Starter Culture Quiz  (Read 5559 times)

Alex

Starter Culture Quiz
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
Need you help!

LHB02 (Thermo) - Hard & Swiss?
ST-M5 (Thermo) - Manchego?
CHN19 (Meso) - Emmenthal?

Can anybody tell me please how to use those cultures?

Amatolman

Re: Starter Culture Quiz
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
I'm new to cheese making so I got no answers.

This site   http://www.finestkind.co.za/ingredients.html   says

LHB02:     IMPARTS NUTTY FLAVOUR TO EMMENTALER, FONTINA, GRUYERE, PARMESAN
and
CHN19:     GOUDA

Alex

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Thank you very much, that's helpfull.

Amatolman

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
For the ST-M5 you might be able to email CHR Hansen and ask.

http://www.chr-hansen.com/contact/worldwide_locations.html?no_cache=1&tx_tcchrregional_pi1[region]=0

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:07 PM »
The ST-M5 is for mozz, provolone, and pasta filata cheeses. LH is helveticus, it has the ability to digest other sugars than lactose, so you get flavor nuances when used in combination with other cultures. It's also used as a primary acidifier in hard cheeses like romano. The meso culture is for gouda and tommes. Think mild, washed curd. I can dig up their tech sheets if you want; I have them somewhere, or they might be in the library already in the chr hansen thread.

Alex

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
Thanks LB, I think I am known on this forum as being adicted :P to use only buttermilk and yogurt as starters.
I've "inherited" those culters from a friend, being packed in very small containers, mentioning they are for 100 liters of milk. As I have them, I'd like to use them, but I don't know how (I'm OK about the dosage).

rosawoodsii

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
I'm new to cheese making so I got no answers.

This site   http://www.finestkind.co.za/ingredients.html   says

LHB02:     IMPARTS NUTTY FLAVOUR TO EMMENTALER, FONTINA, GRUYERE, PARMESAN
and
CHN19:     GOUDA

I realize this is an old thread, but hope I can still get a reply. 

I went looking on the web for LHB02 culture, but couldn't find either a source for it, or (more important to me) what constitutes LHB02 in case it's available under another name.  Is there another culture I can substitute?  I'm really wanting to try a fontina.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
Use a normal thermo blend of S salivarius or l lactis and helveticus. In Danisco's line, that would be LH100. IIRC fontina is often made with no starter when using raw milk.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
Use a normal thermo blend of S salivarius or l lactis and helveticus. In Danisco's line, that would be LH100. IIRC fontina is often made with no starter when using raw milk.

Thank you, that's helpful.

I use raw milk for all my cheeses.  No starter at all?  then would I let the milk clabber first? Or would I probably not have the right beasties circulating in my area.?

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
Fontina is an unusual cheese. It's made really close to a parmigiano reggiano, except the moisture, temp schedule, etc. And no culture is used, so the acidification is very slow. if you want to make it in the traditional style, yes, no starter. I would add a tad of starter for safety, though. You can also follow a nontraditional approach.

No way to know about your flora without testing.