Author Topic: First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010  (Read 1182 times)

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 198
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:44:17 PM »
This is short notice, but there is a goat festival happening this Sunday in Seattle. If you're in the PNW, come check it out. I will be doing a quick mozz demo, and someone else should be doing a chevre talk.  It is to help support the Seattle Urban Farm Co-op. I will also be ruminating (get it?) on goat digestion in my festival role as Professor Poop.

There will be games, prizes, goats to pet, veggie starts, a small market for goods, live music, goat poop/compost to buy and much more!

The festival is this Sunday, May 2, from 12- 4 at 7355 33rd Ave NE. The co-op meeting will be at 1:30pm.

http://surfcoop.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:47:51 AM by linuxboy »
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline scubagirlwonder

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
Re: First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
Sounds like fun LB, too bad I work this weekend or I would be there!!! Have fun!
In Caseus Veritas...

Offline Christy

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Spoiled Goats Give Sweeter Milk
    • Providence Hill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful event, I wish I lived closer...
Providence Hill Farm and My Blog
Nubian Dairy Goats, Milk, Cheese, Goat Milk Soap & Lotion

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
It was great fun. I made a mozz that sadly did not acidify in time and I got rubbery curds (pH 5.5; I blamed the lazy bacteria), but at least they stretched for the demo. Other demos that day were chevre and cojeta.

I also brought some imitation stomach contents and pieces of 3 out of the 4 stomach chambers and talked about goat digestion. I wore a paper hat to give me more credibility as Professor Poop. I think it worked; the kids were very impressed. :)

If anyone is curious, I attached the recipe I used for the mozz. Has time and pH guidelines and pretty detailed make notes.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline Christy

• Mature Cheese
    • Providence Hill Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »
I'm glad it went well!! I always use a little citric when I do a demo, to make sure I get a nice stretch. I tried to download your recipe and it wouldn't work. Would it be too much trouble for you to copy and paste it into a post? Thank you...

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
It's a bit difficult because of the formatting - doesn't fit well into a post. Let me try some other file formats that should work better (attached)

I do the same thing for demos; I preacidified with vinegar to 5.7 and let the bacteria develop the rest for taste. Stretch was fine; I got 3-4 ft long strands, just not as tender as it should have been.

Offline Christy

• Mature Cheese
    • Providence Hill Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
It downloaded for me that time, thanks!!!

I just love reading other peoples methods and formulations. I have never used vinegar as to acidify Mozzarella before.

As you know, for demo's the stretch is the most important part  ;D I bet they loved it!!!

Offline krystoff

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
Linuxboy,

I missed this post back in April.  Please let me know the next time you will be doing a demonstration of any type and I will do my best to get there.  I have been lurking on the forums for a while now and you have been a great help in all of your posts!

Thanks!

Chris

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
That was more entertainment than a demo. I wore a hat and everything :). My talk on digestion was more fun; I brought 3 out of the 4 stomach chambers complete with contents for that extra yuck factor. The kids loved it.

If you're local, check out the guild http://www.wacheese.com/. All sorts of cool stuff going on. We just found a kitchen to rent.

Offline krystoff

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
I live just a few miles north of you in Woodinville.  I went and updated my profile to make it easier.

I bookmarked the guild and will give a thorough reading, thanks for the link!

Chris