Author Topic: First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010  (Read 3547 times)

linuxboy

First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
This is short notice, but there is a goat festival happening this Sunday in Seattle. If you're in the PNW, come check it out. I will be doing a quick mozz demo, and someone else should be doing a chevre talk.  It is to help support the Seattle Urban Farm Co-op. I will also be ruminating (get it?) on goat digestion in my festival role as Professor Poop.

There will be games, prizes, goats to pet, veggie starts, a small market for goods, live music, goat poop/compost to buy and much more!

The festival is this Sunday, May 2, from 12- 4 at 7355 33rd Ave NE. The co-op meeting will be at 1:30pm.

http://surfcoop.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:47:51 PM by linuxboy »

scubagirlwonder

Re: First Seattle Miniature Goat Festival 5/2/2010
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
Sounds like fun LB, too bad I work this weekend or I would be there!!! Have fun!

cmharris6002

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful event, I wish I lived closer...

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
It was great fun. I made a mozz that sadly did not acidify in time and I got rubbery curds (pH 5.5; I blamed the lazy bacteria), but at least they stretched for the demo. Other demos that day were chevre and cojeta.

I also brought some imitation stomach contents and pieces of 3 out of the 4 stomach chambers and talked about goat digestion. I wore a paper hat to give me more credibility as Professor Poop. I think it worked; the kids were very impressed. :)

If anyone is curious, I attached the recipe I used for the mozz. Has time and pH guidelines and pretty detailed make notes.

cmharris6002

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
I'm glad it went well!! I always use a little citric when I do a demo, to make sure I get a nice stretch. I tried to download your recipe and it wouldn't work. Would it be too much trouble for you to copy and paste it into a post? Thank you...

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
It's a bit difficult because of the formatting - doesn't fit well into a post. Let me try some other file formats that should work better (attached)

I do the same thing for demos; I preacidified with vinegar to 5.7 and let the bacteria develop the rest for taste. Stretch was fine; I got 3-4 ft long strands, just not as tender as it should have been.

cmharris6002

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »
It downloaded for me that time, thanks!!!

I just love reading other peoples methods and formulations. I have never used vinegar as to acidify Mozzarella before.

As you know, for demo's the stretch is the most important part  ;D I bet they loved it!!!

krystoff

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:16:58 AM »
Linuxboy,

I missed this post back in April.  Please let me know the next time you will be doing a demonstration of any type and I will do my best to get there.  I have been lurking on the forums for a while now and you have been a great help in all of your posts!

Thanks!

Chris

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:15 AM »
That was more entertainment than a demo. I wore a hat and everything :). My talk on digestion was more fun; I brought 3 out of the 4 stomach chambers complete with contents for that extra yuck factor. The kids loved it.

If you're local, check out the guild http://www.wacheese.com/. All sorts of cool stuff going on. We just found a kitchen to rent.

krystoff

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:48:45 AM »
I live just a few miles north of you in Woodinville.  I went and updated my profile to make it easier.

I bookmarked the guild and will give a thorough reading, thanks for the link!

Chris