Author Topic: Bee Keeping  (Read 5136 times)

linuxboy

Re: Bee Keeping
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:56 AM »
Italian or Italian cross bees are very gentle. I've taken naps a few feet away from many hives while they were going about their business, and have never been stung. If he's allergic it can be a big deal. But bees are so useful. I don't keep them, but my dad does, and we plant things in similar ways using similar soil, but he has so much more come harvest time, and I think it's the bees.

Maybe take him to a hobby bee farm so he can see what it's like? They're really amazing little critters.

sandhollerfarm

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Here I go bumping older threads!

I have two hives - I took a one hour class and then ordered bees.  Yup, dive right in!  Turns out I'm highly sensitive to bee stings (not actually allergic as in a systemic life threatening reactions, but I SWELL like you've never seen).  Ah well, it's all fun!

I did comb honey last year and it is so wonderful.  Fussy to produce and I only sold it for $5 a section.  Just saw it in the store this last week for $15!!! 

I haven't had any success with the hives this year but I've been too busy with other things and one has swarmed twice :(.

Mmmm....last night I had 'Hooligan' with my deep dark honey drizzled on top.  Wow, nothing beats a super stinky cheese with a little liquid gold!

How are the hives doing?  When's the honey flow in your area?  It's some sticky fun!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:49:04 PM by SandHollerFarm »

Groves

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
We've just completed building our first Warré hive. (a vertical topbar frameless hive)

It's a bit late to buy a package, but who knows, maybe we'll get a late swarm from somewhere.

sandhollerfarm

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
Groves, I wish I could play around with top bar hives.  My hives are within the city limits and they have to be Langstroth type.  I was actually going to just doing something else but I have a neighbor (well, a guy who lives a mile down the road) who calls the city anytime he thinks there's a violation.  So I've been inspected for the bees, chickens, veggie garden, fence height, grass height, etc.  EVERYTHING.  Glad I went by the book!

Let us know how the top bar hives go - I've heard good things!

Groves

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
Work closely with your inspector. There should be no trouble at all, legally speaking, working with top bar hives, either horizontal or vertical. Of course, I don't know what country you're living in, so I should note that your location will greatly determine what the laws for beekeeping are.

Minamyna

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:03:59 AM »
There are laws around bee keeping?!?!? I should have guessed! :: eye roll::

sandhollerfarm

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Work closely with your inspector. There should be no trouble at all, legally speaking, working with top bar hives, either horizontal or vertical.

There is here.   No idea why and none of the inspectors who have been out have ever even seen a bee hive before mine.  So they just have to go by the book and pictures of Langstroth hives all have 'full frames' around the comb.  So no luck.

Hehehe.  The first group that came out was two young women who were new to the unit (I'm sure someone sent them on purpose to get trial by fire from the local weirdo - aka me - who knows every city code inside and out).    The wanted to make sure the hives were the required 25 feet from my property line.  The didn't have a tape measure or anything so they decided to pace it off.  They got within 15 feet of the hives, started getting 'noticed' by the bees and decided it was "definitely" at the right distance!  :)

Groves

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
Bee inspectors that aren't beekeepers...what's the world coming to. Do they even know what they're looking for in an inspection? Or are these just city code inspectors?

Minamyna

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »
I am so over the health inspector thing. I am really supporting and pushign the Wyoming Food Freedom act, its the first of its kind and hopefully it will set a precedence for other states!