Author Topic: Made a blue cheese...not bleu, but blue!! OOPS!  (Read 1842 times)

scubagirlwonder

Made a blue cheese...not bleu, but blue!! OOPS!
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
So, I bought a new vacuum sealer and just HAD to try it out....(trying to save a baby swiss that cracked) and thought it would be fun to try it on one of my smaller wheels of cheese too. Well, the only other cheese I had handy already had wax on it....so I thought I would just peel the wax off and vacuum seal it just for the heck of it....well, lo and behold, to my surprise when I peeled off the wax (black wax) my cheese was BLUE! My first thought was "whoa-mold!" but upon closer inspection, the cheese was not moldy at all, but had somehow drawn coloring out of the black wax!  I guess now I can say I've made my first Blue cheese.....just not the usual kind....

Silly little cheese.....

padams

Re: Made a blue cheese...not bleu, but blue!! OOPS!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:07 PM »
HA!  maybe I ought to open up my red waxed colby....could be pink!

Majoofi

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
that's one of the scariest things i've seen. Let us know if you survive it. Did you use cheese wax, or candle wax, or floor wax?

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
That has happened to me before when I used something other than cheese wax, i.e. color crayons, candles, etc.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:28:32 AM »
that's one of the scariest things i've seen. Let us know if you survive it. Did you use cheese wax, or candle wax, or floor wax?

hahahaha, amazingly enough the cheese tastes great! The wax that I used was the black cheese wax from cheesemaking.com, so who'd have guessed that it would turn my cheese blue?!  :o

Brie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »
Not to mention the blue, Scuba--but what's going on with the purple cheese next to it?  ^-^I have found the white wax to be best--better to see what's happening underneath the wax! Good for you that your cheese tastes wonderful!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:35:58 AM »
How kewl! Hawaiian Swiss! Could be a hook for selling a new cheese!