Author Topic: Compound Cheese Presses For Sale  (Read 36630 times)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Compound Cheese Presses For Sale
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:48:53 PM »
This is my first post but I have read many of the discussions. What a great source of cheese making knowledge! I am especially interested in presses because I make and sell them. Most of the home made presses I have seen use only one pivot point, It is very easy to add pivot points and strengthen the press using plywood sides. My press has 2 pivot points giving A 5x and a 9x mechanical advantage. You could easily add more for higher ratios and more weight on the final pressing. It has been my experience that the final pressing does not compact the cheese much so the smaller movement with higher mechanical advantage is not a factor. I have tested mine with a 4 gal bucket of water giving a pressing weight of about 300 lbs. The lever is 1 1/2 x1 1/2 fir and I think it would be OK to 450 lbs but that is iffy. Making a press that attached to a stud in the garage using the multiple pivot pin idea would be easy and inexpensive and you wouldn't need a 4 ft long lever.

Cheese Head

Re: Compound Cheese Presses For Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
smolt, welcome to the forum. Great to have a builder here who makes compound cheese presses!

Hope you don't mind but I've moved your post to the For Sale/Wanted Board. For others, where in the world are you and I assume you make them as ordered, do you have any pictures for our members?

Again, welcome!

PS: several pictures linked here of old antique compound presses here.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 03:06:40 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. I've looked at those old presses before (from your link)and wondered if the cheese knew it was being pressed by a beautiful piece of thought and workmanship. Alas mine is pure function so I hope the cheese can't tell. I really like your site because I am a beginner at making cheese. My first tries were pretty funny(mushy mozzarella, bitter cheddar etc) but I am improving with all the expert advice on this site. My next purchase will be a PH meter so I know where I am in the process. 

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
I just put a video on utube "cheese press test". You might want to check it out.

Webmaster Edit: Added link to:
smolt1's YouTube video of his Cheese Press
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:32:41 AM by Webmaster »

Jason M

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
smolt1, did you make that or buy it?  I'm looking for one now but I don't want to spend a ton.  I was going to make one but I've seen a few on ebay that have the springs and wing nut configuration and they aren't that much.  This one looks nice though!  Is that a pine or fir?

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:51:17 AM »
I make them. They are made of kiln dried fir ( Maple would double the price). I sell them on EBAY or from my website. They are very accurate and will press over 400 lbs. I have been thinking of making a taller version to accommodate stacked molds.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:48:44 AM by smolt1 »

Jason M

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Wow, I guess I totally didn't read the whole post!  Sorry about that!  I'll have to hit you up for one.  Are they pre made?  And how does the kiln dried fir hold up to the whey run off?  I'm going to have to invest in a drip tray I'm thinking!

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »
It would be best to use a drip pan, I use a stainless 1 inch high cake pan. The press is finished with food grade mineral oil, but I wouldn't let the whey run out on the wood.

kimlasavio

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi!  Just wanted to say I got one of these presses off ebay and have used it this fall with great success.  This is my first press and my first season making cheese, but the press was easy to use and very well made - my husband Mr. Picky I-Can-Build-Anything-Better-Than-You-Can-Buy-It even commented on how well made it is and how nicely finished the woodworking is.  No kick-back required, just happy to have a good press to start out with! 

Spoons

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
Smolt1,

Is there a way you can ship to Canada? I'd love to buy one! :)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Highfeather and I am working on shipping to Canada.

Spoons

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
I received Smolt1's press by mail today and I have to say I'm impressed!

Build and functionality : This press is built a little different than the standard dutch style press; For instance the plunger guide is built ABOVE the lever giving more room inside the press area (about 10.5" high). Also, this press has an adjustable lever "origin point" with both an x5 mechanical advantage and a x9 mechanical advantage. I tested the press tonight and got 300 LBS with 35 LBS of weight!!! Imagine if I added a pulley...

Price comparison : Most dutch style cheese presses are sold $125 or more. This one does the job (and possibly surpasses other presses' mechanical advantage) yet is only $75 and is built sturdy.

Shipping : Was shipped from Oregon, United States and received it in Ottawa, ON, Canada only 5 business days later. Smolt took care to wrap each wood pieces with protective shipping paper in order to avoid scratches on the wood finish.

So, if you're like me and feel uncomfortable building your own press, smolt's press is IMO a great investment for the typical "small batch home cheese maker".

Thanks a bunch smolt1! Well done!!!

iratherfly

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 06:37:02 AM »
smolt1 welcome to the forum, very nice press!

You guys, member Alex (Alex "the Cheesepenter") is a professional carpenter with a shop and he makes gorgeous wooden presses as well. I have one of his presses and I use it as my main press, it's fantastic and has torque adjustments and good fit with common followers.  Maybe we should start a marketplace around here?

arifainchtein

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Do you ship to australia?  How much would it cost? I would love to have one!

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »
The least expensive shipping is $118 US. Oh my ! Do you have access to a woodshop. If you do I could send you the dimensions and you could make one. It takes me a little over 2 hours with all the jigs so for someone doing a one off it would probably take 4+ hours.