Author Topic: Nitai's Curd Cutter & Stainless Steel Soldering Problem  (Read 5885 times)

BigCheese

Nitai's Curd Cutter & Stainless Steel Soldering Problem
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »
Hello all. Well my Curd cutter is under way. Drilling the 1/8 stainless turned out to be not so viable, so instead I notched the edges and am planning to solder in pieces of wire. I am having very very little succes soldering stainless though. Weith some limited research it seems that it is likely that the propane torch has trouble getting the metal hot enough. Also, single tank flame might have too little oxygen and cause the  (something, cant remember what) to form on the stainless, preventing a bond. Does anyone have any tips? Preferably without having to buy anything...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Nitai's Curd Cutter & Stainless Steel Soldering Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Some years back I had several 15 gallon beer kegs cut and welded with fittings in pursuit of my beer making. It cost me a bit of change, but it was something I couldn't do. In trying to modify part of that SS later, I found it to be near impervious to cutting, filing, etc. I wouldn't think that soldering SS is something do-able. Welding...yes.

The only thing I could recommend is to find someone who has the equipment and expertise to do the job for you.

Member Carter has some experience along these lines. Perhaps he could share his insight.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:37:41 AM »
There is a solder specifically for sldering SS and can be melted with a propane torch. I can nt remember the name and where I put it but a good welding supply store should be able to help. As I recall I little tube about the size of a prescrption bottle was like $15.

BigCheese

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »
There is a solder specifically for sldering SS and can be melted with a propane torch. I can nt remember the name and where I put it but a good welding supply store should be able to help. As I recall I little tube about the size of a prescrption bottle was like $15.

I have got that, silver solder, and the SS can get hot enough, but what my research indicates is that if I don't have a two-tank system (one with propane, one with oxygen) the lack of oxygen in the flame causes some kind of film to form on the SS, preventing the solder from sticking.

And actually, plumbing solder works on SS, its the flux that has to be different, but alas, I have that too. So no easy fixes in sight.

Thank you both for your replies, I am going to call around tomorrow and get some quotes. Of course it has also come to my attention recently that Carter lives in my vicinity... (hint hint).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:38:23 AM »
This was not a simple silver solder but does contain silver I will loook around.

BigCheese

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:56:30 AM »
I appreciate that Debi! A $15 dollar solution would be wonderful at this point... We just had our calf (literally, like 1 hour ago) I need to get goin on cheese within the next few days ideally.
Thanks again.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
Aw!  I'm assuming that is momma and baby in your avatar.  Congrats on the new addition to the family.  Heifer or bull calf?

BigCheese

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
Aw!  I'm assuming that is momma and baby in your avatar.  Congrats on the new addition to the family.  Heifer or bull calf?

That is not the latest calf, that one in the picture was born about 1.5 months ago. Both him and the new one are bulls. We were hoping for a heifer this time around but we love them all!

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »
I'm the odd one in hoping for bull calves, as we raise them to butcher, but I don't have room for more than one milking cow - or the energy to hand milk more than one!

So I'm assuming you have two cows?

BigCheese

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
more like 17! We have 12 miniature zebus 3 milking Jerseys and two Jerzebu bull calves.

wharris

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
I ended up drilling holes instead of soldering.  Then looped my SS wire through the holes.
Thread here:

BigCheese

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »
Thanks Wayne, yes I studied your build previously. I am looking at drilling again right now too, EXCEPT, I just came across this... A food safe, natural epoxy: http://www.ecopoxysystems.com/index.html

You can read more about it here: http://toolmakingart.com/2009/12/04/food-safe-glue/

They have an FDA approved version and another version that they are confident poses no threat in food applications, but is not FDA approved. I am strongly considering just getting one or two sample packs and trying it that way. Only problem is that I need to make cheese like tomorrow! And after 4 days of shipping and 4 days of curing.... well you get the point.

Please let me know what you all think.

BigCheese

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »
Cancel the last post, here we have a far more affordable option: silicone sealant. I used to be very weary of silicone (baking dishes are awful, too) but I came to learn it is made from sand essentially. So I am a little less put off. What do you think of this: http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/su5005-food-grade-silicone-clear-tube-p-2287.html

For all of us who want a nice curd cutter but are not machinists like Carter, this could be great.

padams

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
Interesting.....That may be a good solution to reseal one of the rivets on my cheese pot (from the outside, of course...)

Then I could actually make the whole 3 gallons that the pot will hold!

vogironface

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
Could you just use a heavy 20 lb test nylon fishing line and tie it?  $1.50 from walmart for about 100 ft.