Author Topic: Uses For Excess Skimmed Cow's Milk (After making cream)?  (Read 3619 times)

zameluzza

Uses For Excess Skimmed Cow's Milk (After making cream)?
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:05:18 AM »
OK I made lots of crem tonight, about 28 liters of cream, I used some of the leftover skin milk for my chickens *LOL* and some for the calfs, but the rest I let it go down the drain... what else ould I do with it all that leftover?

I know I should search the forum, but I don't know what to sear for.. any help?
thanks

Amatolman

Re: Uses For Excess Skimmed Cow's Milk (After making cream)?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:08 AM »
You could send it to me so I dont have to make cheese with pasteurized homogenized milk ;)

Other then that you could... . . .get some pigs and feed it to them :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:52:46 AM »
Check out this thread.

zameluzza

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:02:52 AM »
thanks, I will check it out :)
hmm but Amatolman, I wish I could give it to you, actually I would give you whole milk, but we can't it's against the law :(

Amatolman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:13:54 AM »
thanks, I will check it out :)
hmm but Amatolman, I wish I could give it to you, actually I would give you whole milk, but we can't it's against the law :(

Ya I know about our silly dairy laws.  I need to buy a cow. . . . :)

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »
For cheesemaking, I use skim to make cottage cheese, mozzarella and parmesan.

You can clabber it to feed it to the animals - raw milk will thicken to yogurt consistency and is more easily fed to chickens and pigs.  Just make sure to cover it with a cloth (like a dishcloth, nothing too heavy), to keep the bugs out of it.  You don't want to cover it with a lid or anything that will keep the air out or it will spoil and smell really nasty.

If it is at least 75 degrees where you are keeping the milk, it will thicken within 2-3 days.  I try to keep extra in a cool place so it doesn't get too ripe, but honestly, it doesn't seem to matter to the pigs and chickens.

zameluzza

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
karen that os what I usualy do with all the milk we get from the fresh cows, you know the milk that isstill to early to milk in the tank, my chicken eat and drink milk all the time *LOL*

now is it really worth it to do all the work with using skim milk if I have plenty of whole milk available? I'm still not 100% sure I should use it to make cheese, just thoght maeby there is something that can only be done using skim milk *LOL*

tally

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:35 AM »
My chickens must be wierd. They won't eat milk or whey. Any tricks to get them started? I have to truck my whey down the road to the neighbors pigs. :-\

zameluzza

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:42:49 AM »
I never tried to give them whey, since I would have to transport the whey from farm to farm...
but milk, yup they go nuts when I bring some. I eaven give some to meat chickens, not sure way yours won't go for the milk..
try to only give them milk for a day or two, but make sure it's not to hot outside,
really don't know what to tell you, just keep on trying.

my meat chickens also get milk, and so do the occational visitors *LOL*

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
With liquid milk or whey, I pour it over their grain ration, as my chickens don't take much liquid milk if I put it out in a pan on its own.  Otherwise, I just feed clabbered milk to the animals.  I only give the skim  milk or whey to them, though, as I want to keep all the cream for the house.

padams

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
That looks like one happy skunk!  ^-^  I love skunks...they have such personality!

My son's girlfriend (with the goats...) also has chickens!  so now I have somewhere to take my total failures and excess whey!