Author Topic: bitter flavor  (Read 2260 times)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
bitter flavor
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
I am having trouble with a bitter flavor in my Cheddar and Farmhouse Cheddar. I am using the recipe from Carrol's book. My question is if the problem is from too much rennet can you taste the bitterness right after pressing or does it develop with ageing? Thanks for any help.

SANDQ

Re: bitter flavor
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »
I too had this problem with 1 of my earlier batches, I now know I was using 2x the rennet I should have and 2x the M400 starter I should have.
 I too would like to know the answer to this question.

SANDQ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »
  P.S
I too was using a Carrol recipe but mine was specifically for goats milk.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:04 AM »
Generally speaking cheddars are not cut until many months down the road where the bitterness caused by either too much rennet or mucor contamination will continue to increase with time. New curds will show very little signs of bitterness where in aged cheeses it may be quite pronounced.

If you have made the recipe several times altering the amount of rennet you may want to check you sanitation practices or milk sources.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »
I havn't changed the amount of rennet  yet,but I just did a farmhouse cheddar with fresh milk right from the jersy cow -----I'll know in a month.

SANDQ

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:06 AM »
Im fairly sure my problem was a Rennet overdose. My dairy practises are a sanitary as they can be. I have corrected my mistakes so now it is a waiting game. Im using raw milk so I have got to wait 60 days to open my first " correct batch "  Then we will see.  regards Q

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
I use many of my cheeses in under 60 days, but I am also using raw milk from my own cow, and I know her health status and my milking practices.  I don't think I'd do that if I were buying raw milk elsewhere.

SANDQ

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:11:51 AM »
MrsKK
You say you use many of your cheeses before, 60 days, are any of them cheddars? I presume texture wont be affected by age but Im sure taste will. Do you get the true cheddar flavour in a young cheese, I presume it just gets stonger with age?
  Thanks Q

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
When I was new to cheesemaking (and just couldn't wait to try them) I did cut into my cheddars at less than 2 months.  Rather, I cut the cheddars into three pieces - two quarters and one half - and waxed them separately.  I then cut into one of the quarters at 4 weeks, the other at six weeks, and the half at 2 months.  Mostly because I couldn't wait, but also so that I could have a practical experience of what ageing does to the flavor and texture.  And no, they didn't have good cheddar flavor even at 2 months, so it taught me that patience is definitely worth it.

Now that I'm a couple of years into this, I have a couple of cheddars that are nearly a year old and not cut into yet.  Most of the cheeses I use at less than 60 days are colbies, which I prefer "younger" anyway.