Author Topic: Making Pickled Eggs (shelf stable after a week)  (Read 12841 times)

atreyablue

Making Pickled Eggs (shelf stable after a week)
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
I'm fascinated with shelf stable foods you can make at home so I thought I'd share this info and recipe. Apparently if eggs are processed correctly they CAN be left out of the refrigerator. This is probably no surprise to many of you, but there was a big PICKLED EGG debate going back and forth on the "internets"  I have made 2 batches of these, they taste awesome and others went nuts for them.

Curried Spicy Pickled Eggs Recipe (shelf stable unrefrigerated after a week)

boil 6 eggs for 10 min, turn off and let cool. pick only eggs which are NOT cracked.

after 10 min of cooling rinse in cold water.

peal eggs and drop into this solution

use 100% vinegar, distilled or non is fine do not dilute it

to 2 cups of vinegar add 1 tablespoon of yellow curry, 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder, 2 red chiles, I used arbol but you can use any hot chille, 3 tablespoons kosher or sea salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Throw in a few pepper corns too if you like pepper

mix well, and submerge the eggs, keep them under the solution, this is done by placing 1-2 ziploc bags of water over them.

refrigerate this for a week, be sure to turn it upside down and shake once a day. keep the eggs under the vinegar and not diluted.

After a week transfer it out and you can keep them in the cabinet, but at all times keep the eggs under the 100% vinegar solution. shelf life is 6 months to 2 years.

They seem to get better with time. retrieve them with a clean utensil and seal the jar up after.

As long as you refrigerate them for a week during the pickling phase they will be shelf stable after 7 days and you can take them out. as long as they are kept under the solution and not exposed to air.

Thank you,

Eric

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Making Pickled Eggs (shelf stable after a week)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »
I have made self stable pickled eggs for many years very similarly but not with curry. Sounds interesting. I will try this thank you for sharing.

homeacremom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:29:15 PM »
OOOOO...I'm interested. Post more flavors please! This sounds like a good way to preserve some summer eggs for the lean winter months.

atreyablue

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:10:36 AM »
OOOOO...I'm interested. Post more flavors please! This sounds like a good way to preserve some summer eggs for the lean winter months.

Thanks for the reply.

you can use any flavour you like as long as you stick to the rule of not diluting the vinegar and keeping them refrigerated for a week before shelfing them (also keep them submerged away from air)

I'm crazy about curry, but you could make them with garlic, pepper, ect. I might try making a baharat blend which is a cinnamon type arabic curry, much different than Indian curry.

These eggs sliced go great on salads, also a good snack food.  according to the internets 1 large egg has 7.5 gms of protein, and a 180 lb adult needs 70 grams of protein.  I would not make a diet of eggs because they are so heavy but its nice every other day.

Cheers,

Eric

24KAu

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »
This is a great idea!!!  I must try this...thanks for sharing!

MattK

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
As a Polack, I love me some pickled eggs! Serve with some sourdough and a brown beer....now yer talkin!

I've made PEs for years, though never have used 100% vinegar. I use about 2:1 to 3:1 vinegar to water, depending on how strong I want them.

I've never made an Indian-spiced batch, sounds very cool - thanks for the idea!

I always toss in some onion rings and garlic cloves...quite nice pickled as well!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:47:41 AM »
I threw in a few beets with my lastest batch. Now what can I use to make blue eggs? Pickled blueberry don't sound good. I want to make a platter of red white and blue eggs (I know I'm sick).

Brentsbox

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
DJD,  I think thats a great idea,  red white and blue eggs..   how neat.  you could use blue food coloring maybe.  But you want a real good blue and not a light blue.    I love the idea though!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
I prefer if posible to use food rather than colors but I can think of a blue food besides blueberries and they really turn more purple than blue. I will probably end up using food colors. Blackberries made the best color so far but really taste weird pickled.