GENERAL CHEESE MAKING BOARDS (Specific Cheese Making in Boards above) > STANDARD METHODS - Making Cheese, Coagulation

Coagulation, Rennet, Tablet, Junket Brand - No Clean Break

(1/5) > >>

DennisZ:
As you might guess I'm new to all this, and here's the thing I have tossed two gallons of store bought milk in two botched attempts. I am following to recipe for Cheddar and I have not had any coagulation of any kind. I made sure the milk is NOT ultra pasteurized and that it's Not 2% or 1% it's "full cream" I guess. I also followed the recipe for a buttermilk starter culture and now I am using what I froze in a clean ice cube tray, and yes I thaw it first. Is there any hope .........   lol

Thanks in advance   :o

MarkShelton:
I've never used Junket rennet, I've never even seen it, but from what I've heard, it is acceptable for soft cheeses, but won't work well for hard cheeses. For cheddar, its best to get rennet from a cheesemaking supply store.

Cheese Head:
Hi Dennis, welcome.

Junket tablet style rennet is not junk, several of our members use it, however I do not know at what dosage rate.

That said many members have problems with tablet style rennet, suggest you use Search tool for Junket and or Tablet, you should find lots of tricks and traps. Good luck.

Next batch I suggest increasing the dosage by 50% and checking that your temperature and method of pre-diluting and adding are correct, here's an info webpage on rennet coagulation problems.

atreyablue:
So far i have noticed that if i use the tablet rennet i need 2 times what is recommended. i don't know if that is a common experience. i got my tablets from cheesemaking.com (not junket)

DennisZ:
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I received my liquid rennet from a cheese supply company today along with some calcium chloride guess I'll read the instructions for both and then try them together? Maybe I was stirring to long (5min) when I added the rennet or calcium was too low in the milk.  I have a PH tester from my not so old hydroponic days is there a PH I should have before I add the culture and then a different one after?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version