Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 1145 times)

Offline kstaley

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Hello from Michigan
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »
Hi Everyone -
I've been making cheese for nearly a year --  long story -- let's just say that I view it as a personal evolutionary process :)  I started by taking some short courses locally, then completed some formal education at the Vermont Institute for Artisan Cheese.  I've been making many different types of cheese at home (Cheddar, Chaource, Coulommiers, Feta, Ricotta), but am particularly fond of soft-ripened bloomy rinds, so I've been focusing on the Camembert style.  I've also been apprenticing with the owner of a local farm and creamery.  To get more experience in a country that we find fascinating, my husband and I will spend ten days this summer volunteering at a dairy farm in Iceland!  Within the next few years, we'd like to establish our own small creamery.  I must say that I have found the resources of this forum to be invaluable.  It seems that whenever I have a question, no matter how obscure, I find that other forum members have wondered about the same thing!  I hope to contribute more as my experience grows ...
Karen

Eat Cheese :)

padams

Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
Welcome Karen!

You are very lucky!  Iceland will be fantastic! 

One of the things that is so wonderful about this board is how patient and helpful everyone is!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
Hi Karen

Welcome to the forum! I also love soft bloomy rind cheeses but have had a very tough time with them, looking forward to your input!

Picturs of cheese making in Iceland would be nice :).

MarkShelton

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:11 PM »
Welcome Karen!

From your resume, I would say that your advice and comments would be highly sought after and regarded here on the forum!

Brie

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
Welcome--I'm originally from Michigan, as well--Detroit area. Hope to hear more about your endeavors and, hopefully, you'll have some tips for all of us!

Offline kstaley

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:42 AM »
Thanks for the hearty welcome, everyone.  I will post some pictures following our trip to Iceland! 

Looking forward to reading about your cheese endeavors too :)
Eat Cheese :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your input.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
Welcome Karen. Your have an interesting resume there. We all have/had the same basic questions at one point and found ways to answer them. This forum ahs all levels of experiance so there will be someone who has been down the road you seeks answers too. Enjoy and keep us posted on your adventure.