Author Topic: question on geo  (Read 1534 times)

cheezaftig

question on geo
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:44 PM »
hi, this is actually my first time posting on a forum anywhere on the web! Exciting, I know!

anyways, so I attempted a cam last november and came out okay. It was made with pasteurized 3.25% milk, a little cacl2, P. candidum, a tiny amount of  Brevibacterium linens, and chymosin. After 10 days it was covered in mold, 5 days later, after the fuzz grew thick I wrapped it. It aged for 5 weeks at 48 F .  When I opened it up to try, the inside was not quite finished, and the rind was really thin. It wasn't a slipped skin, it was really smooth.

I am wondering if geo would help to thicken the rind, or does it just neutralize the surface so that the candidum can dig it's feet in?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:39:07 PM by cheezaftig »

captaincurd

Re: question on geo
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:07 AM »
I don't think you have too little geo. I've made them with no geo at all and they turn out ok. I'm wondering what you had your cheese wrapped in for the 5 weeks.  If the cheese wasn't getting any air, that might make a cheese like you describe.  If you had a nice felt when you wrapped it, the mold mycellia (sic) must have been in there, but if the cheese cant breathe it can look  brownish and naked .

good luck