Author Topic: Hello From Utah  (Read 1096 times)

themoat

Hello From Utah
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Hi all!  I'm a college student just getting into cheesemaking.  After spending (literally) 16 hours pouring over these forums, I think I'm ready to give it a go.  I'm hoping to make this work even on a very fixed budget.  My grandmother always made her own ricotta which she used to make her homemade ravioli, and somewhere in my memories, that's why I was fascinated with cheesemaking.  Thanks for being so helpful everyone.

Looking forward to homemade cheese in the future

Jimmy

Cheese Head

Re: Hello From Utah
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »
Hi Jimmy in Utah, welcome!

Lots of good people and ideas here. Here's a Sticky Post for people new to cheese making, other than fresh cheese, a proper temp & humidity aging environment (cheese cave) is a problem.

If you really want to make an aged cheese then and only have a kitchen fridge then here's an idea.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

themoat

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:33:12 AM »
Thanks guys.  So the news this weekend is that my wife and I are attempting our first cheeses.  We have a light cream cheese going right now and tomorrow I'm going to slip to wal-mart to buy a thermometer (we have two different ones that are reading about 10 C off) and we'll try a queso blanco!  I didn't take any pictures just to avoid the possible humiliation of ruining two simple cheeses.  I appreciate the help!

Jimmy

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
Good luck, as you can see from many of my posts and pictures I can screw up cheese making quite often :o.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Jimmy. I think you and your wife will enjoy this new hobby. Is can be very rewarding.