Author Topic: Best place to buy Kadova molds  (Read 44283 times)

zenith1

Re: Best place to buy Kadova molds
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »
Deb- I may have missed it but where did you get the Manchego mold and what was the price if you recall.

clherestian

« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
I don't get it. Does this include all the parts (lid and nets) or just the mold?

http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com/en/kadova-baby-gouda-1-kg-cheese-mould-for-making-1-k.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
Deb- I may have missed it but where did you get the Manchego mold and what was the price if you recall.

I got my manchego mold from Servi doryl Fromagex last year? or the year before. I think it was $75 but they got bought out during the process and charged $50 for shipping and some other fee bringing it up to $150.

zenith1

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
Thanks Deb- I'll look around some more that is too steep. I wouldn't want to put off my Cervelo any longer than I have to.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »
Just to let you know it is a regular mold with an insert with hatches. I have often thought something similar to a tome mold and a bamboo mat could do a similar pattern and probably be more pronounced. If I had it to do over - I would not have bought it. I have layed brined cheeses on plate plate holders to dry and got nice patterns that where more pronounced.

Stephan

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
I don't get it. Does this include all the parts (lid and nets) or just the mold?

http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com/en/kadova-baby-gouda-1-kg-cheese-mould-for-making-1-k.html

Hi dherestian,
This Kadova Baby Gouda mould includes all 4 parts, mould, mould net, lid and lid net.

Each (spare) part (mould, mould net, lid or lid net) can be ordered separately under (Baby) Gouda Parts

Stephan

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
Just to let you know it is a regular mold with an insert with hatches. I have often thought something similar to a tome mold and a bamboo mat could do a similar pattern and probably be more pronounced. If I had it to do over - I would not have bought it. I have layed brined cheeses on plate plate holders to dry and got nice patterns that where more pronounced.

Hi Deb,
You are right, the Kadova Manchego does not have the typical pattern. It has the standard smooth mould and lid surfaces on the inside and carries the mould and lid net.

Attached are three pictures of the Kadova Manchego mould and parts.

We do have Manchego moulds that are executed with the typical Manchego pattern.
A picture of the mould inside is attached.

Stephan

« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
I haven't used these molds but hope to soon!  This seems like a good a time as any to get started.  But like the others I know nothing about them and will also be making small (1 to 4 or 5 gallon) batches.  The 1kg seems reasonable.  Then do I need the 'mold net' to go with it?  Why so many small sizes (300, 350, 400)?  Do you use multiple per batch to make smaller cheeses?  Thanks to the organizers!  We appreciate your efforts! ;)
Susan

450 g molds hold about 1 lbs of cheese, 1 kg molds are about 2 to 2.5 lbs, 2 kg molds are about 3 -3.5 lbs of cheese.  That's the biggest I have right now so beyond that I don't know. The 450gram molds make great little gift cheeses but are awful when it come to a natural rind - they dry out to fast so wax or vacuum seal.  I have 6 of those and 2 of each of the others. I normally make 7 gallon batches.

Since 1 kg is about 2 - 2.5 lbs the larger Kadova mould weights in kilograms can be multiplied by 2.2 (2.5). So that makes for Gouda 3 - 3,5 kg about 6.6 to 7.7. lbs (based on 1 kg = 2.2 lbs).
Gouda 4/5 kg = 8.8 to 11 lbs etc.
The 200 grams are even worse as far as rind forming is concerned, however like you say they make a perfect gift.

Stephan

« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
Drilling a bunch of new holes for next cheese, other wise, great. Easy to turn over in the same cloth, much easier than the 3 piece system I had before and the polyethylene seems to wash right out in warm water and acid whey as factory recommended.

Linuxboy, I don't know where you guys are with Jandaplast but we do have access to their full port folio.
So a group buy combination of kadova's and Jandaplast mould is feasible.

ConnieG

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »
Oh, they have Parmesan molds!  http://www.jandaplast.com.br/en/parmesao.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »
I have the 2.5 kg Manchego mold with the traditional pattern becuase the kardova was just a big tome mold IMHO.

Oh and I think I may have accidentally confused you on the price of the molds I always buy two of everything so 1 mold was like $75 with shippping.