Author Topic: Best place to buy Kadova molds  (Read 44314 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Best place to buy Kadova molds
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »
Yeah, not the same thing; you're now talking about a totally different animal. But a lot of people use that type of mold, it's just the ones here have a specific use and purpose.

Minamyna

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 05:53:58 PM »
Oh, sorry for asking and maybe I missed it, but what is the specific use/ purpose unique to the molds you are looking for?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
It never hurts to ask. These molds are made of a type of plastic that's food safe which serves a few purposes. One being easy release of the cheese and some of the molds don't require you to use cheese cloth so there is less expense and less mess and less wrinkles in the cheese. Plus these molds make the cheese into a special shape with rounded edges.

Minamyna

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
OH! Ok good to know, round edges serve any purpose other then being pretty?

wharris

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »
I find that sharp edges in cheese make for bad rind development.  Rounded edges make for even drying and a more stable rind.
But thats just me.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2010, 04:42:11 AM »
I agree with Wayne and I also find te the flatter shapes tend to hold more air bubbles around the sides leaving more imperfections in the final cheese.

linuxboy

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
Well, I did look into it and to develop a mold line of adequate quality would cost a pretty penny. People in the industry told me about the same message as Cartierusm. Too expensive for me to do as a side project. Would be a little cheaper to do microperf, but even then, there's a good reason why there are so few mold makers out there, the cost of entry is rather high.

Somewhat disappointing, but that's the reality of it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »
Thanks for looking into it. I was probably one of many who were hoping, but, oh well....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
I am able to get fake Kadovas pretty cheap. Same shape, but no built-in net. You'd have to use nylon or cotton cloth. I can also get standard non-micro-perf molds of all shapes and sizes very cheap. It's just that the engineering and mold work on Kadovas specifically is expensive.

BigCheese

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
Are these deals you speak of available to others, LB. Perhaps others here would be interested in putting together an order through your connections? I have great results with Plyban so I am happy to use that with other molds. Is there a catalog available?

Cheesetart

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »
I'd love to find some at a decent price. 

Brie

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »
I'm in for another group purchase!

Gina

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
Acquiring at least one really nice mold is near the top of my cheese-making wish list.... 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »
I am able to get fake Kadovas pretty cheap. Same shape, but no built-in net. You'd have to use nylon or cotton cloth. I can also get standard non-micro-perf molds of all shapes and sizes very cheap. It's just that the engineering and mold work on Kadovas specifically is expensive.
I'm interested. What sizes/capacities are you talking about? Do you have pricing?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
So I've been in talks for weeks now with various smaller European suppliers for cultures (and Abiasa in Canada), as well as the bigger players like CHR Hansen and Cargill. And also in terms of molds, trying to negotiate something with South American and European suppliers like MGS, Busqui, Plastico Arroyas, and Jandaplast. It is all taking a long, long time. But I'm trying to put together the next generation of culture and mold options here in the US and sell them in a store. Size and capacities would vary from bite size molds to regular microperf/industrial 6-15 Kg. Culture selections would be more in line with CHR Hansen's core line as well as specialty adjuncts and flavor/mold/aroma options.

I like Dave at Dairy Connection, and think Steve at thecheesemaker.com and Ricki at New England have done great work in promoting our craft and making supplies available, but either I'm getting lower quotes somehow due to the stronger dollar, or their profit margins or overhead are high. Or maybe the suppliers are making a difference. I don't know what the deal is... but I should be able to hire someone to fill orders and still price at 20-50% less than them. I don't want to compete directly on price per product because I respect those stores, so my product and supplier list will have as little overlap as possible.

I wanted to do only a few group orders, but I think this will be an ongoing need and it's less work in the end to just set up a shop. Trying to finish soon, but there's sooo much work this summer with the cheese guild, ACS, my regular business, goats, etc. But it's coming, I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:05:53 PM by linuxboy »