Author Topic: Best place to buy Kadova molds  (Read 43948 times)

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
Re: Best place to buy Kadova molds
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
Any loaf type molds? A nice 3 to 4 kg loaf type mold would be nice if it doesn't cost more than my first car.  Or a long tube type for deli style provalones?   ::)

Debi:  Have you checked out Ullmer's hoops?

--
Michael Dow

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
They do make loaf type Kadova molds. I've thought about getting a couple of those myself.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
Michael -

Yes I have three of their stainless molds and that's where I bought 4 of my small 450 gram kadova molds for $25.

Sailor -

I have found a few sources for the loaf style molds but the are like $300 for 3 kg! YIKES! I did find some rectangular juice containers I was going to try but they seem to be perfect right now for housing my little 450 gram reblohons. They fit perfectly on the shelves on my mini fridge and the little pour cap is great for adjusting air flow.

linuxboy

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
Sorry everyone, there was a management meeting about this, and here's the final word I received back:

"There is no minimum order qty but we are only selling to the bigger cheesemakers or the current resellers."

The current US resellers are Ivarson and glengarry. I will check with Ivarson about their prices.

I am personally somewhat troubled as a capitalist because in my philosophy, barring any ethical justification for refusing to do business, a company when contacted directly should at least make an offer to sell products at a cost of their choosing because there is no sales cost here of acquiring a customer, and this purchase was within the constraints of a typical wholesaler to reseller relationship. Oh well. I am also contacting US-based plastic injection mold shops to see if they will custom fab some molds and at what cost. I will look up the associated patents to make sure there's no infringement.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
LB - I too find that very disconcerting. How can a wholesaler refuse a sale to a legitimate business? Now if they classify Ivarson or Glengarry (Canada) as "distributors" with a formal contract then that's a different story. I know that Dairy Connection gets their Kadovas from Glengarry. However, distributors have territorial rights and the parent company would not be allowed to sell into their market (ie - the "bigger cheesemakers"). If they were in the USA, this would border on illegal restraint of trade. At the very least, this is just not smart business on their part.

I know there are other good micro-perfed molds, but I haven't researched them much. Or maybe we could approach Ivarson or Glengarry regarding a large group buy? By the way, Ivarson has some really nice looking Kadova Tomme molds that I haven't seen anywhere else.

linuxboy

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
I do like those tomme molds as well. I understand the practical and bureaucratic reasons here, just sort of leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I run a business and I know if I have a high-demand customer, or one whose demands exceed standard service and product offerings, I will just eat the cost in the current project and charge more in the next project, given that I will have a better idea of company overhead and profit margin targets.

But hey, maybe this will open up the way for cheaper high quality molds for all of us :).

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Linuxboy,
I just want you to know (and I am sure I speak for the majority of this forum) that we appreciate the time and effort you put in making inquiries and attempting to put together an order. Thank you from all of us for your effort! It is definitely dissappointing that they refused to do business with us, but I'll follow your lead and say, yes, maybe it will turn out better for us in the long run!
~Cheers

Amatolman

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
Linuxboy,
I just want you to know (and I am sure I speak for the majority of this forum) that we appreciate the time and effort you put in making inquiries and attempting to put together an order. Thank you from all of us for your effort! It is definitely dissappointing that they refused to do business with us, but I'll follow your lead and say, yes, maybe it will turn out better for us in the long run!
~Cheers

I second this.
Thanks Linuxboy.

linuxboy

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
Got a response from Ivarson. Discount is 3% for quantities over 50. This is without shipping. Seems like the cheapest price so far. This means the wholesale rate is likely 20-30% less than the below prices.

Prices, for gouda-shape molds:
Ivarson #4040 Baby Gouda 1kg MouldPrice / Ea
3.4041 1kg Baby Gouda Mould $17.00
3.4042 1kg Baby Gouda Lid $10.50
3.4043 1kg Baby Gouda Mould Liner $17.00
3.4044 1kg Baby Gouda Lid Liner $9.75
Ivarson #4060 1.5-2kg Gouda Mould Price / Ea
3.4061 1.5-2kg Gouda Mould $22.75
3.4062 1.5-2kg Gouda Lid $17.25
3.4063 1.5-2kg Gouda Mould Liner $20.50
3.4064 1.5-2kg Gouda Lid Liner $12.50
Ivarson #4080 4-5kg Gouda Mould Price / Ea
3.4081 4-5kg Gouda Mould $61.00
3.4082 4-5kg Gouda Lid $27.75
3.4083 4-5kg Gouda Mould Liner $48.00
3.4084 4-5kg Gouda Lid Liner $18.00
Ivarson #4110 10kg Gouda Mould Price / Ea
3.4111 10kg Gouda Mould $77.00
3.4112 10kg Gouda Lid $37.00
3.4113 10kg Gouda Mould Liner $65.00
3.4114 10kg Gouda Lid Liner $27.25

BigCheese

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
Whoa!

So let me get this right, Glenngarry charges $210 for a 4-5kg mold and lid, and here they are for $90? Wow!

Well I don't think I can refuse a deal like this, if we get enough together, count me in for 2 2kg molds and lids with liners.

Thanks linux!

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »
Whoa!

So let me get this right, Glenngarry charges $210 for a 4-5kg mold and lid, and here they are for $90? Wow!

Well I don't think I can refuse a deal like this, if we get enough together, count me in for 2 2kg molds and lids with liners.

Thanks linux!

Actually its $154.75 when you add up all the components...
--
Michael Dow

linuxboy

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »
Yep, and then add freight over from the Netherlands. I've put out some inquiries to try and see if anyone could do a small run of custom molds for us. The PP or HDPE plastic is not expensive, and making a mold die on a CNC machine is also not hard if you have the CAD/solidworks file. I just don't see what costs $150 for maybe $20 in plastic after you make the die. Maybe 30 years ago, sure, when you still needed a lot of skill and precision, but now that everything is computerized, you're just paying for raw materials, and overhead, and initial design and tooling. Hopefully I can do the last two myself and get a small run of molds for a reasonable price. I mean... if we put this order through with Kadova based on everyone's quantities, it would be enough money to pay for a small, used prototyping plastic injection mold machine. The math doesn't exactly add up in my head with this whole situation. Either I'm severely underestimating production costs, or the profit margins are extravagant. Sailor, it seems a little like the printing industry to me. Technology now is not what it was 20 years ago.

wharris

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 02:36:17 AM »
put me down for a 10kg

BigCheese

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 02:51:14 AM »
Ah yes, I see where I went wrong, nevermind. I think for now I will have to retract my order unless you get some custom system going Linux.

Thanks again!

Brie

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »
I would definitely be in for a couple of moulds if we can use the discount! Sounds like they are trying to differentiate the wholesalers from the retailers.