Author Topic: Mark's Cheddar - 050810  (Read 3787 times)

MarkShelton

Re: Mark's Cheddar - 050810
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 12:05:13 PM »
Yes, the farmer said that it was 4% milkfat. I lost a little bit of it during pressing; it showed up in the whey that was pressed out. I think it was a little too warm while I pressed. I still haven't gotten any weights that I can use for Sailor's "press in the pot" method. I'm still using my "press in the laundry room" method to mimic the warmth and humidity.
And I did taste a bit of it that wouldn't fit in the stock pot, and it had more flavor, but I don't know if it tasted sweeter or not. I do remember that it had a barnyard-y taste and aroma. Not stinky, but more of a "hay" note. I'll have to see when he puts them out to graze.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 03:13:19 PM »
So the cows are still on hay and/or silage? That could certainly be one reason that your flocculation took so long. There is a BIG difference in flavor and quality once they are foraging on natural grass, clover, etc. You have already noticed that with the "hay" aroma and taste. And throughout the year as their diet changes the flavor of the milk really changes too. You will need to alter your rennet and flocculation times as they move to grazing.

Diet has a direct impact on the flavor of the finished cheese. That's why we can't really replicate some of the more famous European cheeses. That's also why award winning cheeses are USUALLY not produced from pasteurized milk.

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
Is vegetable shortening processed like margarine or is it solid fats like palm oil which harden at room temp?