Author Topic: Butter, Non-Cultured vs Cultured & Recipe  (Read 26378 times)

BigCheese

Re: Butter, Non-Cultured vs Cultured & Recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I wouldnt want to do that. We like to keep all of our dairy raw unless we are making paneer cheese or ricotta, which require boiling

homeacremom

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 12:53:08 AM »
Nitai, try using colder water and see if that helps in working the water out. Or....chill the butter slightly and come back and work it again. After washing in ice cold water I work it (with my hands) on glass cutting board I put at an angle into the sink. Helps with draining away every last drop of moisture.
I love baking with homemade butter....the whole "better butter made her batter better" tongue twister is true.  ;D Hope you find something that works!

MrsKK

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
Once you have all the water out that you can get by pressing/kneading with your hands, you can put the butter in between two sheets of saran wrap and use a rolling pin to press out even more water.  The more you get out, the longer your butter will stay fresh.

Another thing I've learned is that puncturing a Vitamin E capsule and adding the contents to butter helps preserve it.  Do this after getting the water out.  Salting it helps, too.

Minamyna

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »
What does boiling do for making it easier to make butter?