Author Topic: Gouda - Very thick White Mold Powder, Locker Room Smell  (Read 5273 times)

Cheese Head

Gouda - Very thick White Mold Powder, Locker Room Smell
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »
Finally after 9 months I chased a very moldy and "Gouda" out of it's partially open zip lock bag (to reduce drying but unfortunately promoted mold) in my cheese cave. Records and full set of pictures just updated here.

Gave it a good scrub under the kitchen tap, little bit of wild blue mold in cracks and quite a bit of caked on white powder, any idea what type of mold or yeast residue was that?

Cut the cheese open with cheese wire, amazingly still somewhat moist (notice in picture how it cracked), and very very pungent! My wife says it smells like a locker room or for any other hockey fans, like an old ice hockey gym bag, tastes just as delicious >:D.

padams

Re: Gouda - Very thick White Mold Powder, Locker Room Smell
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:46:36 AM »
Locker room, huh?  My kids call parmesan "stinky foot cheese"  >:D

I think it looks yummy!

mcfly

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
I can even smell it in London  8)

Alex

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
Finally after 9 months I chased a very moldy and "Gouda" out of it's partially open zip lock bag (to reduce drying but unfortunately promoted mold) in my cheese cave. Records and full set of pictures just updated here.

Gave it a good scrub under the kitchen tap, little bit of wild blue mold in cracks and quite a bit of caked on white powder, any idea what type of mold or yeast residue was that?

Cut the cheese open with cheese wire, amazingly still somewhat moist (notice in picture how it cracked), and very very pungent! My wife says it smells like a locker room or for any other hockey fans, like an old ice hockey gym bag, tastes just as delicious >:D .

Locker room smell? That's the kind of cheese I'm addicted to. I really hope you enjoy it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:37:21 PM »
Alex, it is great >:D, and yes I'm lovin it!

Anyone have any idea what the excessive white powder was, remains of a yeast infection?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:28:49 AM »
I believe it is similar to if not the same as Penicillium candudum. I have a white powdery mold that grows on my 5 year old asiagos, romanos and parmesans, but because it has little moisture it doesn't develop into a fluffy puff or a rind, nor does it get that amonia smell. It adds flavor to my Italian cheeses.