Author Topic: A foray into charcuterie... Equipment question...  (Read 7406 times)

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
A foray into charcuterie... Equipment question...
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
I'm embarking down the "other fork" of my foodie venture for the year -- charcuterie.  Now that I've made a cheese that looks like it has a chance of becoming edible, its time to make a sausage or 10.

So, to that end, I'm putting together some equipment.  One thing I need to get is a sausage stuffer.  For those of you that have them or know about them, I'm looking for some advice.

The LEM horizontal 5 lb looks interesting -- does the horizontal configuration make a difference?  Is this worth it?

The Grizzly 5 lb (or 11 lb?) upright...  LOTS of companies have these configurations.. 

Cabela's upright 11lb "commercial" (Looks like a Weston)...  This one can be motorized, looks like it might be a good unit...

While the $250ish range is a lot to spend, I don't want to get something that I'll be disappointed in.  Your thoughts or words of wisdom would be most appreciated!

--
Michael Dow

Amatolman

Re: A foray into charcuterie... Equipment question...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
I bought one of these.  http://www.amazon.ca/Waring-Pro-MG100NC-Meat-Grinder/dp/B002S51Y4G   I shopped around and found it for $100 CDN. It does the grinding and stuffing. Its by no means a professional machine and its quite loud but it chewed through 25 lbs of meat pretty quickly. The cutting plates aren't stainless steel so you have to keep them oiled. I'm happy with it.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »
I have the Kitchenaid mixer, inckuding the meat grinder attachment and lately I've bought the stuffing attachment.

deb415611

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
Michael,

I have the Grizzly 5lb vertical & am happy with it.  I know a few other people that also have it,  one of the guys on the Bradley Smoker forum has put alot of sausage through his.  It has plastic or nylon gears and some people look down on this but I don't know anyone that has had a problem with this stuffer.

I think the LEM vertical has metal gears and some people opt for that over some of the others. 

I used the kitchenaid stuffing attachment a few times but it is a very slow process since the feed tube is so small & narrow.

I was told to get a vertical over the horizontal but not sure what the reasoning was. 

Deb

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:07:02 AM by Deb »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:02:15 AM »
I have a older Grizzley 5# stuffer but wish I had the 10#. I hvae never made just 5 pounds of sausage that less than 1 pork butt. Most decent grinders will stuff as well and saves on cleanup time too. I have a small LEM grinder that does a good job of stuffing.

Offline sominus

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Debi:

Your Grizzly does the small snack sticks without complaint, though, yes?

--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »
The smallest tube I have is for 21mm casings a bit bigger than "Slim Jims" but smaller than a regualr sausage. About 3/4 inch but they shiring some when you smoke them or cure them.

deb415611

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:41:10 AM »
The smallest tube I have is for 21mm casings a bit bigger than "Slim Jims" but smaller than a regualr sausage. About 3/4 inch but they shiring some when you smoke them or cure them.

and  nobody cares that they are a little bigger than a slim jim because they taste better ;D

sawhett

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »
I started out years ago with a 5 lb. from The Sausage Maker and have graduated to the 12 lb. DICK. Same as everything else; depends on how much you're going to get "into" it.

Offline vertlook

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
Hi,
I have 5lb vertical Grizzly and love it.
Takes me 5 minute to stuff 5 lb worth sausages, easy to clean too.
Highly recommend it.
I researched the horizontal one back when I was buying mine and the reviews on horizontal one is terrible.
Hope it helps, regards

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
One thing I like about the 5 lber is it fits in the cabinet in the kitchen.  ;)

I do recommend bolting it to a board if you are working alone it's more stable.

steampwr8

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »
I am doing both sausage and cured meats. I have done Salami, pepperoni, bresaola, etc. Even Lebanon bologna in 5 lb. casings is easy.

If you go to http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267, this grinder is great for home. I have done 80 pounds of sausage in less than an hour. It is standard #12 die plate so you can order the diameters that don't come with it. i.e. 1/8" to 3/4".

The stuffer is great also. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319. You can find this a bit cheaper elsewhere. I fasten it to my work table with a C clamp.

A great source is http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php.

What you will find, as I did, is that charcuterie is cheese with meat. The cures, fermentations, and aging are much the same. You are trying to get good lactic acid bacteria to preserve the meat or milk.

Good fooding and keep us posted.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
We've had a bit of dicussion on sausage stuffer on the forum lately and one thing that was metioned that never even occured to me is that the biggest complaint of the bigger stufers is they don't fit well in a standard sink for cleaning.

DETERMINED

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »
I have a large commercial grinder but for the small stuff try this out;
LEM makes a jerky cannon which works great for slim jim type products and jerky, I also use it for stuffing peperoni sticks.

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/jerky_cannon_accessories

I have used mine for five years with no problems, well built.
Dave

Offline sominus

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
I have been so unbelievably busy these past few months that I haven't had any time to devote to my foodie hobbies... My daughter is a competitive swimmer in High School and is now being courted by several universities to go swim for them -- its been more than a little hectic!

Hopefully life will calm down soon and let me get back into the swing of things...

-Michael
--
Michael Dow