Author Topic: White Mold Cheese - Sticking To Mats.....  (Read 1705 times)

adm

White Mold Cheese - Sticking To Mats.....
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Two weeks ago, i made my first bach of molded goats cheese - molded in both senses of the word! 

I used Penicillin Candidum solution sprayed on the cheeses and then left them at 12C and high humidity for 2 weeks, sitting on plastic cheese mat inside a metal container.

However, when I went to remove the cheeses from the mat today, the rind and mold of the base of each cheese had grown/melted into the grid of the plastic mat and there was no way to separate the cheeses from the mat.....I ended up with half a dozen lovely looking and tasting cheeses, but with no bottom! Of course, I flipped them upside down, so now the open bottoms are the tops....

Anyway.....how do I prevent this from happening again? This must be a common problem with a dead simple solution...

Thanks,

Alasdair

linuxboy

Re: White Mold Cheese - Sticking To Mats.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »
Flip them once a day when you go check on them :). You can also try lowering humidity  and temp a little to slow down the mold growth.

adm

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
Ah. That should do it.....

Looks like my cheeses might need a bit more attention then.....I was away for the first week, and by that time, it was already too late. I'd better plan accordingly next time!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Hi adm, welcome! Just FYI, there's some more ideas/discussion on this problem here.