Author Topic: Poutine  (Read 10317 times)

budgood

Poutine
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
French fries with cheddar curd covered with gravy!!!!!!!!!!
OMG, I am drooling here.
I know what I will be doing with the next batch of cheddar.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Real-Poutine/Detail.aspx
    *   1 quart vegetable oil for frying
    * 1 (10.25 ounce) can beef gravy
    * 5 medium potatoes, cut into fries
    * 2 cups cheese curds

Directions

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). While the oil is heating, you can begin to warm your gravy.
   2. Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes. Make the fries in batches if necessary to allow them room to move a little in the oil. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
   3. Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them. Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.

Majoofi

Re: Poutine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
mmm that takes me back. it's the quality of the gravy that makes the dish. It shouldn't be too fancy.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
If you can find a butcher, try to get some veal and beef bones and make a basic espagnole sauce or demi glace for poutine. You'll get a food coma it's so good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »
Oh that does sound good. I love french fries with gravy or french fries with cheddar and bacon but all of it together? Sounds like a meal fit for a king!

vavroom

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
Ahh, but it's not poutine unless you have the *right* cheese :) I say that having grown up in Québec, which is generally attributed as the origin of poutine :) The curd isn't *quite* cheddar. In fact, I've never found it anywhere else in my travels. But I guess if you can't find "fromage en crottes", cheddar curd will do :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »
My understanding is the curds are just fresh curds saved before being pressed. What we like to call Squeeky cheese.

vavroom

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
Yes "squeaky" would describe it nicely. But it's also salted.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 01:41:40 AM »
Yes finished curds just not pressed into a wheel.

smelly

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 03:47:03 AM »
Up in Canada, Costco has started to sell cheese curds - they are orange though which is not so nice for poutine.  They are very cheddar tasting curds.  But Bothwell's is a great brand, I find, and they're yummy. We have been using white cheese curds from the farmer's market here to make poutine ... once a week.  Oh boy.  We're a little crazy about poutine here at the moment.

Topuff

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »
Lol, I didn't think you could get that anywhere south of Aroostook County, Maine!  Right next to a big slab of Tourtiere pie. 

OudeKaas

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:20:52 AM »
Lol, I didn't think you could get that anywhere south of Aroostook County, Maine!  Right next to a big slab of Tourtiere pie.

Mmmm...I had my first real poutine on a trip to Nova Scotia. It was definitely rib-sticking to say the least. Perhaps "nap-inducing" would be more accurate.

Interested to see your reference to Tourtiere. I have a version of this savory meat pie sitting in my freezer right now, a gift from a Vermonter friend of French-Canadian descent. His family pronounces it "toot-kay", and their version definitely resonates with the . . . eh, how do you say? . .. ordures blanc quality that poutine has in spades.

Their recipe is ideally filled with a coarsely ground blend of pork and a little veal, stretched with meal made from saltines.  Traditionally enjoyed on a TV table with the game on, accompanied by mustard, pickles and a cup of coffee.

styxer08

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 11:22:42 PM »

well you are right down the road from Pineland farms lol cheese curds ;P

cats

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
It's weird that not anyone from Québec jumped in this topic as it's originating from there !

There are so many types of poutine, the base being french fries, squeaky cheese curds (very fresh) and gravy sauce as noted here.

Some add wiener sausage bits and cooked onions.
The one with seasoned beef meat.
The other one with chicken bits and peas called "Galvaude".
The Italian poutine by replacing the gravy with spaghetti meat sauce.

In fact, add whatever you can dream of to the fries and cheese !

Yes, it's a bit on the high side calories, but in winter here, you need a lot ! :)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
Ok.. let a Canuck finally jump in here... disclaimer: I'm not from Quebec
If you haven't had an authentic poutine from anywhere close to Quebec i.e. Eastern Ontario and New Brunswick ... you haven't fully lived yet... its off-the-hook delicious! It's so popular, that even McDonalds was (is?) selling it around there...  Ya.. that's right... McPoutine...

There are many imitation poutine out here so beware... but around Ottawa and Quebec and New Brunswick go to any pub and you are sure to get the authentic stuff... knockoffs around there will quickly be shunned and shamed to bankruptcy ... so you're safe. 

The curds are NOT cheddar... but close...and better... and good luck getting anyone to tell you what cheese these curds are actually made from... last curds I had was made from "St. Alberts cheese coop" there are other coops in Quebec that are even better...

If anyone can fill the gap with this special curd ... please jump in here.

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Well, I'm from Montreal originally and once you have poutine from Quebec...nothing stands up to it....I can't even seem to perfect my own curd cheese!!! I've tried many different recipes but they never squeak. The patented "squeak" sound happens when you rub the cheese on your teeth believe it or not...it makes the texture really good and when it squeaks, it will usually soften - not melt completely, when hot gravy is added to the poutine.

Also, the curd cheese shouldn't be refrigerated and it should be used fresh within the day. I find this hard to do because even halfing the recipes makes a good amount.

I have been looking up authentic curd cheese recipes from Quebec bloggers. The French phrasing is either: fromage en grain, fromage en crotte, and sometimes even Cheddar Skouik! Skouik!. This means squeak squeak. I personally wouldn't attribute it to a Cheddar. To me, it's kind of like a Mozzarella.

I found another recipe, Mon Fromage En Grain, which I'm going to try if I can understand the French and I'll post about it soon!

Another thing to consider is the gravy though. I've been making my own poutine for years and we STILL haven't perfected a really good poutine gravy! A lot of places will use a mix of chicken and beef base, which we'll try next.

The fries...well, my bf and I don't have a deep fryer and baking them doesn't do it, so for now we use frozen fries. We found a good brand that we like, it has "crispy coating" on it so the fries are really good.