Author Topic: Poutine  (Read 10315 times)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: Poutine
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
That Mon Fromage En Grain looks promising... I'm not too good with my French but that could be it. Looks like a good site for foodies :) I would like to crack this poutine cheese secret, and hope you take on the challenge too...
Did the article state anything about poutine?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
A colleague of mine from Iowa says that they sell "squeaky cheese" up there; my understanding was that it is basically cheddar cheese curds that have hit the pH mark and been salted, but not molded.

I have produced a "squeaky curd" with at least one make ... but now I can't remember which one. It was one of the signs that the curd had reached the right level of dryness.
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
Indeed, I look for the squeak curd every time I make my cheddar... no bragging here, but I thought that was normal and a characteristic whilst making all my cheddars, I don't remember them not squeaking...lol... I put some away after salting for snacking, but only enough for a day or two as they do downhill fast after that :)

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
Hi Fritz

The recipe of hers does sound promising, but she does something different with her cultures...she wrote this:

"1/4 c. à thé de ferment lactique méso II de Abiasa (c'est à dire Lactoccocus cremoris)
800ml de lait 3.25%
D'abord, je me suis faire une culture-mère du ferment lactique Lactoccocus cremoris. Pour se faire, j'ai chauffé doucement 800 ml de lait 3.25% à 30 degré C à l'aide d'un bain-marie. J'ai ajouté 1/4 c. à thé de Lactoccocus cremoris dans le lait."

Roughly translated...she uses a Meso Culture type 2 (brand name Abiasa) that is a Lactoccocu Cremoris to make a mother culture. She heats up 800ml's of whole milk at 30C in a double boiler and adds 1/4 tsp of the culture to the heated milk. Then to her cheese, she adds 1/4 cup of that mixture as her culture. Otherwise, the instructions sound pretty standard to me.

I've never read anyone adding culture in that way but I'm up to trying it. I think that I could use an MM100 that I have, which has a strain of Cremoris in it...

I might try this on the weekend, so I'll keep good notes and try to write out my recipe in English. As far as I read, she never mentioned if it squeaked though! Her post was from 2011 and her last post was almost a year ago, so I don't know if she still reads comments or not!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:02 AM »
Awesome, can't wait for your report... that Meso 2 is a very popular culture to have on hand. Don't worry too much about brand name. You will probably never buy it from the manufacture and in this case the retailer and recipe writer will simply refer it to as Meso 2.

Good luck on the SqueekSqueek cheese :)

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
I'll try it out this weekend and my fingers are crossed! I forgot to answer your question, the author didn't mention poutine, but fromage en grain is meant for snacking and poutines...I've only had one recipe squeak, and it was one of my failed Mozzas lol...

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
That wasn't a failed mozzarella .... it is simply a yet unnamed new cheese :) 

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Lol Fritz  :D I can agree to that now but at the time I was inconsolable lol!

almabts

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
This is delicious! Of course, it's not exactly good for you, but that's not the point. Finding cheese curds can be next to impossible in some parts of the region, so take the time to order them online and do this recipe justice!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
Never had Poutine, although it sounds delicious, but here is the recipe I use for brown gravy for my Pork Chop sandwiches and it goes great on fries.

4 slices smoked bacon cut into 1” pieces
4 tblspns butter
1 tblspn olive oil
½ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ cups chicken stock
½ tspn red pepper flakes
salt to taste

Place the bacon into a cast iron frying pan and render the fat down. Remove the bacon pieces and add in the butter, olive oil, and flour and cook to a dark chocolate stage. Add in the stock and stir in the pepper flakes and salt.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos