Author Topic: Direct Set Cultures vs Mother Cultures  (Read 3563 times)

Minamyna

Direct Set Cultures vs Mother Cultures
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
I bought some New England Cheesemaking kits and the chevre book tells how to make a mother culture out of one of the cultures. I understand that the direct set cultures are added to the milk during cheesemaking. I was wonder is there a way to turn a direct set culture into a mother culture. I have worked in a lab setting before (growing v.fisheri a marine bacteria for my senior project) and my aseptic technique is pretty good, so I was wondering if their was a way to grow ans store these cultures, I mean someone is.

Any info would be interesting,

Thanks
Myna

linuxboy

Re: Direct Set Cultures vs Mother Cultures
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »
Um.. well not as much as lab equipment as I would need and some experience with culturing out particular strains as long as the morphology is different. If I had to DNA sequence them I would have to be given a reminder, though I will seek out my professors and see what they think. I am used to mixing my stuff for my own plates, autoclaving, pouring them, dilution series, etc. I have never handled food grade bacteria, I would imagine there is special considerations for it?

I did project in 2 months college where all I did was grow plates and sort out strains by morphology and one project post -college for the same professor where I starved bacteria. That was really fun. I guess to do this sort of work you would have to be hired by a cheese company somewhere and not really a home hobbyist thing unless you buy lots of equipment?

Thanks Linuxboy (FYI I was a double bio/ comp sci major) I appreciate the links, I am off to read them all carefully.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »
Bacteria is bacteria. Food bacteria is no different, with the slight caveat that if using it commercially, you should either use a known pure strain and rotate, or test culture randomly for pathogens.

Being that involved is definitely a labor of love. Even in a basic home lab you'd need incubator, deep freezer, autoclave, centrifuge, microscope, misc glassware, and then all the consumables.

If doing it on a small scale, you could get away with using substitutes... pressure cooker instead of autoclave. Dehydrator with temp setting for incubator. Surplus centrifuge. Glycerin from the pharmacy as cryoprotectant. And you could make consumables yourself. Make a meat broth for tryptone, can buy yeast extract from the store, etc. Or just use skim milk base for everything and ammonium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide to neutralize lactic acid buildup if you want to up colony counts. For aseptic handling, you could use regular syringes and a canning jar with a hole drilled in it and stoppered with a cheap rubber stopper, then inoculate.  Lots of creative solutions.

But yeah, to do it all the time esp in dairy, you'd need to work for a culture house or in-house lab for a plant. And then it would quickly become the same thing, industrialized. Make a 1,000 liter batch, centrifuge, test for pathogens, repeat.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:40:27 AM by linuxboy »

Minamyna

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:45:43 AM »
Wow! Well thank you so much for the information.

Just a couple more questions, when you say deep freezer are you talking about a -80 freezer? I looked at water baths when I first got my recipe book book because with all the temperature changes, it seemed like a reasonable way to moderate the temperature. Now I see that keeping the water bath from contaminating the cheese might get troublesome over time if you do a lot of cheese.

Is there any big benefit in growing and maintaining your own cultures rather then buying them? I would imagine there is no monetary gain, other then to do it because you really like it.

Do you have a lab where you innoculate/ maintain cultures with either actual lab equipment or creative lab equipment?

Well I guess I better read some books and buy a pH meter before I do much else.  Any books you recommend over any others?

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:59:22 AM »
Yep, if you want to suspend all activity, have to use a deep freezer, else you lose viability. Nitrogen is best, of course, but not too practical. But there are other solutions. Like using a cryoprotectant. or, if you centrifuged and washed, you could reliably store in the fridge in a sterile buffered water solution at 34 F. The last approach is not industry standard, but there have been studies that showed zero reduction in CFU/g counts after 8 months. No long-term studies out there, unfortunately.

For home cheesemaking, one of the best approaches, esp for mesophilic cheeses, is to use the kitchen sink filled with hot water. Easy and works great :).

There's no huge benefit in keeping a culture bank unless you culture special strains that impart a unique flavor. Many plants do that. Taking time into account, definitely not much monetary gain. But it's fun :).

My lab stuff is mostly in boxes after the latest move, and I don't even have a yeast bank. I'd like to set it all up again.

In terms of books, if your library has it, check out the dairy science books. Kosikowski's is good, the classic, His student Peter Dixon wrote one, American Farmstead Cheese. Sweeney and Fox are good, the dairy journals have some good articles.

But before you do that, read the various threads here. Brilliant blend of practical and theoretical knowledge in many threads here, and of course you can always post questions :)