Author Topic: Can I age a Cambozola in my normal cheese fridge?  (Read 1737 times)

Cheesetart

Can I age a Cambozola in my normal cheese fridge?
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
I've got several cheese in my cheese fridge -- most are vacuum sealed and all doing well.  I also have an Asiago and soon to be a Emmental that are not sealed.  I'm really tempted to also add a Cambozola -- reading through some of the posts and Brie's recent photos just have me anxious to try one.  I'm concerned that it might not be a good thing for my unsealed cheeses -- but on the other hand, I should be able to control with some ripening containers -- maybe?  I tossed around the idea of another cheese fridge -- but at this time, I'm not quite sure where I will put it.  Still an option to consider.
So the real question is -- can  the Cambozola be aged with my other cheeses?  Thoughts?
Happy Cheesemaking everyone!!

Cheesetart

Re: Can I age a Cambozola in my normal cheese fridge?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:28:01 AM »
well, not sure that it matters.   After all of this time making cheese, this one seems to not want to make clean break.  Going to wait a bit and check it again, but it is fighting me before it gets started...................

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
Hang in there kiddo!

Cheesetart

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
I decided to let it sit overnight -- just to see what would happen, and still only minimal curd.  The only thing that I can figure is that I misjudged the rennet.  I made Emmental on Friday and it worked beautifully--- so I can't imagine that the rennet was bad............obviously just miscalculated.............
I have tons of office work to do today -- but I might jump in, run for more cream, and give it another shot.  I won't rest until I give it another shot!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I am sure you know the drill though ... was it UHT milk? ESL? Was the rennet old?

As for aging them together yes you can keep it in a container with some air flow and limit the cross contanination of the mold. You could also consider sealing the other cheeses.