Author Topic: Gloves for forming Pasta Filata cheese  (Read 2021 times)

Amatolman

Gloves for forming Pasta Filata cheese
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have made a few batches of mozzarella and was able to stretch the curd with my hands even though it was quite hot but I was only stretching a small amount at once.
I am hoping to make provolone soon and I was wondering what gloves are best for doing this. I don't really want to use regular dishwashing gloves as they smell strongly of rubber and i'm worried that might transfer to the cheese.
Does anyone have any ideas? Preferably something cheep and reasonably easy to get my hands on. . . no pun intended.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Gloves for forming Pasta Filata cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 05:41:30 AM »
I use silicone gloves designed for food prep. They are quite bulky though. A double layer of latex will help a good bit. Put them together first and blow into the fingers to get them aligned them put them on.

Amatolman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
I never thought about doubling up latex gloves! Thanks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
It helps if you have larger gloves than you need they get tight when doubled.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
I use just one layer of latex gloves, but my hands are pretty innoculated against high heat.  If the cheese or whey are too hot to handle immediately, I use a wooden spoon to start manipulating the cheese for just a few moments until it cools just slightly, then start using my hands.