Author Topic: Can I make a starter from raw cow's milk?  (Read 5551 times)

momdrinkstea

Can I make a starter from raw cow's milk?
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:16:24 AM »
Newbie here y'all!
I have a supply of raw cow's milk from a neighbor, and wondered if I could use it to make a starter?  Can I use the raw milk to make buttermilk and then use that as a starter, and if so, how?  Any tips would be super!  Thanks!

-virgin cheese-maker  :)

mtncheesemaker

Re: Can I make a starter from raw cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »
Hi,
I used a meso starter to culture cream for making cultured butter. What's left from the butter making is cultured buttermilk. That you can use as a starter for cheese. (meso type) (And then use a tablespoon for your next batch of cultured cream/butter.)
You can also just leave the cream out at room temp to sour on its own from the naturally occurring bacteria. I haven't done this but I think it should work fine. Then you can make the butter and save the buttermilk.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:03:04 AM »
You could also make clabber. Mrs KK has a thread here somewhere ...

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
Here's the link to the thread: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1927.msg14271.html#msg14271

I use clabber for mesophilic starter, but use yogurt for thermophilic.

Good luck and let us know how your cheeses turn out.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
Karen, in the case of using clabber as a starter, you do not use rennet at all?
You said on another thread to use 1 cup/5 gal. Making some conversions to metric units, I've got about 2.5 ts/1 liter or quart. Does it make sense?

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
For most of my cheeses, I do use rennet as well as the clabber.  Clabber is really just mesophilic culture.

However, for cottage cheese I do not use rennet.  And I have a "fake" parmesan that I make by just allowing clabber cultured milk to set up for a couple of days, then cooking curd, salting and pressing it.  I do have raw milk, though, that I do not pasturize prior to culturing it for this cheese and I'm sure that the natural organisms in it contribute to the flavor, texture, etc.

And yes, it looks as though your math is correct.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »
Thanks Karen :)

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »
My pleasure!

ConnieG

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
Karen,

would you mind expounding on your Parmesan cheese recipe?  I think I've seen it in another thread that I can't find.  Is the one that is good early as well as aged?

I'm going to have to start taking notes.   ::)

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
As it wasn't really made from a recipe, I have to go back through my records and cheeses to see just how I ended up with the parmesan flavor.  I honestly think that the best one resulted from innoculating warm (85 degrees?) milk with clabber and letting it sit overnight wrapped in a towel.  I cut the curd the next day and cooked it...but like I said, I'll have to go back through things and get better details for you.

ConnieG

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
Thank you.  I know I had read it somewhere - maybe I'll start a new thread and ask

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »
Okay, I did a search and here's the thread that I talked about it.  Reply #8.  I really don't have a recipe that is unique, or just didn't write down what I did.  Sometimes I get lazy about documentation, sorry!

ConnieG

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
Ah!  That's OK I can go from here.  Thank you for looking it up.

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:46 AM »
No trouble at all.  If you try this, let us know how it turns out for you.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 02:46:11 AM »
Here's a Parmesan recipe I've used for many years from a book I bought in 1976. It uses yogurt as the thermophilic starter culture.

INGREDIENTS 

1 Gallon Fresh Skim Milk (no more then 2.5% butterfat) 
1/4 Tablet Junket Rennet 
3 oz. Thermophilic Starter Culture (3 ice cubes)

Warm the milk to 100° F.

Add thermophilic starter and allow the mixture to ripen for 45 minutes

Dissolve 1/4 tab rennet into 3-4 table spoons cool pure water.  DO not use tap water.

Slowly pour the rennet into the milk stirring constantly with a whisk. 

Stir for at least 5 minutes. 

Allow the milk to set for 45-90 minutes until a firm curd is set and a clean break can be obtained when the curd is cut.

With a long knife, cut the curds into 1/4 inch cubes.

Allow the curds to sit for 10 minutes to firm up. 

Slowly raise the temperature of the milk to 124°F.  It should take as long as 45 minutes to reach this temperature.  During this time, gently stir the curds every few minutes so they don't mat together.

Keep the curds at this temperature for another 15-30 minutes until very small and firm.

Drain the whey by pouring through a cheese cloth lined colander.   

Carefully place the drained curds into your cheesecloth lined mold. 

Press the cheese at about 10 lbs. for 30 minutes.   

Remove the cheese from the press and flip it. 

Press the cheese at about 25 lbs. for 12 hours. 

Remove the cheese from the press, careful it is still very soft. 

Float the cheese in a cold brine solution of 1.5 cups of non iodized salt for 12 hours.  Be certain to flip the cheese over at least three times to ensure even rind development.

Pat dry the cheese, you will notice the outer surface has begun to harden. 

Place the cheese in your refrigerator to age for at least five months (longer for stronger flavor).  You will need to flip the cheese over every day for the first two weeks and then at least once weekly or it will dry unevenly. 

Place an overturned bowl on top of the cheese after two days. Do not wrap it in plastic or it will not dry properly

Inspect daily for mold.  Should mold develop on the cheese surface, simply remove it using a paper towel dipped in white vinegar. 

After three, six and nine months of aging, rub the surface of the cheese with olive oil.  Do not wax this cheese.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:13:36 AM by DeejayDebi »