Author Topic: Lay it on me....Forums for Sausage making?  (Read 6101 times)

Minamyna

Lay it on me....Forums for Sausage making?
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:08 AM »
I really have a feeling I am going to regret this... what forums do you charcuterie folks visit?

humble_servant7

Re: Lay it on me....Forums for Sausage making?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
I really have a feeling I am going to regret this... what forums do you charcuterie folks visit?

Here is one pretty good forum that is pretty popular:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/index.php?sid=411b7c3af9a2cd64f8f22d4023909247

Unfortunately many of the guys there are of no help, like the guys in this forum are.

Many questions-- they feel-- are being asked that have already been answered so a lot of them will relegate you to using the search function.

saucisson and wheels are pretty good about answering your questions, though.

Good luck!

I'm looking for a new charcuterie website to join as well.

deb415611

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:06 AM »
Member DeeJayDebi has a website & forum with a sausage section.  http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl  She is as knowledgeable about sausage as she is cheese.   

The guys over at the Bradley Smoker forum are incredibly helpful.   There is a sausage making section and it's not dedicated to smoked sausage.  This is a forum where the members will answer the same questions over and over and have a great time doing it. 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php

An offshoot of the Bradley Forum is a site created and maintained by a few Bradley members.  They compile the recipes that are posted within the forum.  There are sausage recipes here as well as some faq posts with common sausage & curing ingredients (I think Debi has this as well on her website)

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Minamyna

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
Thanks!  I was hoping to find a forum as awesome as this one with such helpful and kind people, I will check out DeejayDebbie's forum as well!

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
Deejay Debi's forum is great as it encompasses all sorts of things both food- and non-food-related.  The people there are very helpful!

sausagemaking.org is a wealth of information but, since it is housed in the UK, tends to create some difficulties when trying to source ingredients in the U.S. that they use over there...

Bradleysmokers.com is pretty good... I do tend to bounce between all three.

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »

Was there something in particular you were looking for? There are a few smoking meat forums with recipes for sausage and many websites but many of the recipes you'll find are mine - just works that way I'm afraid. I have an eBook you can download on my webiste with 92 sausages - keep in mind deli lunch meats are actually sausages so there's plenty of those too.

Minamyna

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:44:56 AM »
No was just to find a place like this to peruse and look at other peoples thoughts and arguments. It's how I get a feel for things. I am really caught up in the nitrates versus no nitrates thing.

I would like to make some landjaeger sausage, but I guess I will foray into your website and look at the ebook!

Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:21:12 AM »
Did you know that all root veggies have nitrate in them?

Minamyna

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
No I had no idea-- so you think that the nitrates in meat products are ineffectual to long term human health?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:38 AM »
When dry curing or aging sausages or smoking for flavor and not to cook I do believe in using nitrates at a minimum level. I read a study once that said that if you eat potatoes, or other root vegetables more than 3 times a week you will absorb more nitrates than you would get by eatting an average portion of cured sausages for meal a day, every day. Weird huh?

Minamyna

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »
Hmmm very interesting. Well I guess I will be using some nitrates then in my sausages whatever....

homeacremom

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
So my question is...Are the nitrates in root vegetables the same as the nitrates added to meats.
There are alot of things that are "made" in a laboratory, but don't end up working the same in the human body.

For example, most vitamins are essentially analogs of the real thing. Truvia is an analog of stevia, splenda is an analog of sugar.  Not the same thing as the original form at all and how they get it approved for consumption I don't know.  >:D

From another angle you have additives like citric acid that do occur naturally, such as in citrus fruits, and then there is the food industry version which is harvested off of a mold. Unfortunately this can cause alot of problems, allergies, and unintended consequences as I found out first hand.

Sorry, still skeptical on the nitrates thing. I am very willing to be shown proof and would like to be wrong. It would make life easier.  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 03:57:25 AM »
From what I read the nitrates are made from root vegtables although I am sure they can reproduce anything these days in a lab.  Somewhere back in the old days someone supposidly discovered that when making sausage with potatoes they held up better to smoke and were less likely to make a person sick due to bad bacteria. Guess it's like the camel stomach bag making the first cheese story. Someone figured it out by accident and they did it ever since. Here in the US we have much lower levels of nitrates allowed in foods than other countries. I will try to find the source of my info. I think it was in one of my books - maybe rytec or the CIA Garde maunal or Charcuterie could be one of many many books or an artical I downloaded somewhere.

homeacremom

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
Some of the nitrate/nitrite free sausages on the market today have only those naturally occuring in celery. I've wondered if there are any articles on how to use this same application at home. Dried celery powder or something to help with safety concerns.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
I have been told by a local butcher that celery juice and extract have a heavier nitrate content than the commercial nitrates and because celery is "all natural" the nitrite content does not have to be listed on the  packaging. This is a come for the organic and all natiral crowd.

According to a review from the American Meat Science Association, recent studies at Iowa State University show that careful formulation and processing can produce vegetable-cured hot dogs and hams that are quite similar to their nitrite-cured models in color and flavor. They are not, however, free of nitrites or nitrates, no matter what the label suggests.

In the 1970s, the nitrite and nitrate in cured meats fell under the suspicion that they might cause cancer. Later research showed that we get far more of these chemicals from vegetables like celery, spinach and lettuce. Their abundant nitrate comes from the soil and is turned into nitrite by bacteria living in our mouths.